can i use mother's wax on a old boat? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can i use mother's wax on a old boat?

i traded my 93 suzuki GSX 1100G, for a 1988 19' Sea Ray bowrider, w/135 Mec V6 o/b. Dad was a boat machinic ever since he grew up on the Chessapeak but he lost his leg so he is retired. So the boat in his own words is very good. but needs seats to be redone, and i am thinking i can wax the heck out of the jelcoat right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can but I don't think it will last long in salt water. They make specially formulated waxes for marine use. I belive Meguiars has a whole line of boat products.

Use 3M rpoducts. They are reccommended by SeaRay.

Dont worry about doing the hull portion of the boat however, just the top and interior spaces. Water friction will remove wax quickly so there is no point in waxing the hull.

88 isnt old! i'm restoring a '58 aquastar runabout right now, thats what i call old

At that age, the gelcoat is going to be pretty dry and pourous so look for a product to address that. It will never be as shiny as new gelcoat.

Attachments

• DSCN0977.JPG
    DSCN0977.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 181

3M products are GREAT! a little rubbing, a little buffing and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

• DSCN2539.JPG
    DSCN2539.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 181

Yeah, that was our '85. I had to rub REAL HARD with some RELLY EXPENSIVE 3M stuff (about $24,000/bottle) to get the cream color to come out black and white ;)

Albino 94LTD said:
Yeah, that was our '85. I had to rub REAL HARD with some RELLY EXPENSIVE 3M stuff (about $24,000/bottle) to get the cream color to come out black and white ;)

well i got the boat home today, and took a 2nd look and the only diff is your is cleaner and has red lines, mine is blue. Do you have any interier pics?

btw, what did the bottle cost? and about how long did it take to apply????

That $24,000.00 bottle of Boat Fix takes 7 years to apply ;)

Attachments

• DSCN0978.JPG
    DSCN0978.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCN0979.JPG
    DSCN0979.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 158

Back