can i use these wheels on my ex? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can i use these wheels on my ex?

Hi folks;
I have a 97 limited; at stock height right now. A friend of mine has a set of stock rims that are from his late-model Mustang GT. They are 17"x8". I would like to know if I can mount these on my ex. And would I need some sort of adapter? I plan on mounting these rims along with the right size tires and also getting the handling kit from Explorer Express. I would also like to lower it about 1.5". Do you think this would be a decent combo?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they will bolt on fine... i would check the backspacing on the rims though, they may fit just right, stick out too much or sit too inboard......... those rims with lowering would look good and also improve perfomance greatly....

They should bolt right in with no problem. You may need some spacers if you want to go to a wider tire like 275/55-17. I believe 255/60-17 will have no rubbing.

they will fit fine and you wont need spacers. you dont want the stang tires...... they are WAY too short and dinky looking on an X even if its lowered. plan to get a nice set of 255/60/17's or 275/55/17's.

What rubber are you going to put on them?

Thanks folks

Thanks for the replies;
I'm going to go ahead and try those rims. I don't know yet what size tires yet, I'm going to go see a tire guy I know so we can try some out to see how they look.
Once I get them mounted, I'll get pics and post them so you can all see how they look and fit.
George

Back