Can I wire an Aux input to a Mach HU? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I wire an Aux input to a Mach HU?

Thallarsen

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Limited AWD
I'm wondering if I can forego the CD changer & somehow wire an Aux input in it's place so that I can use my iPod/MP3 player, Smartphone, etc. I can't recall the last time I used my CD changer.
If this can't be done - or can't be done for reasonable $, any recommendations for HU replacement at a reasonable cost?
I kind of like the steering wheel controls and some of the other Mach features, but more power and an Aux input sure would be nice...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a company called Pacific Accessory Corporation that makes this exact product...

PAC AUX-BOX2

I think this is what you were asking for. I have never used it, but I found a few sites that people with Mustangs did. There is also an accessory cable that you can get that will allow you to also retain the CD Changer with the whole setup. PAC AB-FRD20

Thanks for the reply.....
Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems to be incompatible with the Mach HU:

Description

Not compatible with factory multi-disc CD changer.
To use the AUX-BOX2 with your vehicle, you will need to order a PAC vehicle-specific wiring harness, listed below.

Compatibility Notes:

Radio must be "CAN-BUS"
Radio must be satellite ready -OR- have "MP3" printed on the faceplate of the radio
Not compatible with navigation equipped vehicles unless otherwise noted by PAC
The AUX-BOX2 is designed to be used with any audio device featuring a 3.5mm or standard RCA connections
Requires PAC AB2-FRD24 cable (sold separately)​

I'm not sure what "not compatible with the factory multi-disc changer" means, but regardless, a separate cable (AB2-FRD24) is required (which they don't seem to sell), and the Mach is neither sat. ready or MP3 compatible.

From what I was able to decode on the PAC website, that statement means that once you install this the factory CD changer will no longer work.

Here is the manufacturer's site

Like I said before, I have never used a piece such as this yet, but trying to search around places that claim to provide the features.
I know with my Pioneer, I have a cable that "tricks" it into thinking that I have an external CD Changer hooked up, and gives me the RCA jacks that I have a cable hooked into for my MP3 Players.
Mine was much more cost effective, and did not require an extrnal power source, but I am sure these are having to do a little more bypass work since it is all factory.

I would suggest checking out the prodcuts available on their site, because it looks like most of it is all there.

This is the info from that manufacturer's site regarding the "AUX BOX"

"""
ALL VEHICLES
Not compatible with any factory external audio source such as: XM tuner, CD changer, or Cassette player. These devices must be disconnected during the installation and will no longer function.

Ford/Lincoln/Mercury
Not compatible with factory radios with built-in 6-disc CD changers. Compatible with factory navigation radios.
"""

Again, thanks for your replies. "Decode" is the right word.
I think that they should rephrase their description. To me, "not compatible with" means "doesn't work with"
I assume when they say:
"Not compatible with any factory external audio source such as: XM tuner, CD changer, or Cassette player."
they mean:
"Use of AUX BOX will disable any factory external audio source such as: XM tuner, CD changer, or Cassette player"

Anyway, it seems like the investment of money and time may not be justified when a new higher powered head unit might be a better option for $100 more.

An alternative might be to get an adapter to keep the steering controls with an upgraded unit as well.
That way, you can still stay functional.

(I WISH I HAD STEERING CONTROLS)

jad2411 -
Thanks for the post. I went to that link and asked you this question:
Any idea if the wiring is the same for a Mach HU & disc changer?
Thanks,
J.P.

Back