Can it be fixed?

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT4x4 SOHC
Found a lot of rust (swear it wasn't there last year) on the frame part going from a body mount to the outside frame, below the driver's seat! Is this fatal or can it be fixed or replaced? I know somebody that can weld, I can't. Picture coming soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found a lot of rust (swear it wasn't there last year) on the frame part going from a body mount to the outside frame, below the driver's seat! Is this fatal or can it be fixed or replaced? I know somebody that can weld, I can't. Picture coming soon.

IMG_20230902_170400.jpg

IMG_20230902_170323.jpg

IMG_20230902_170321.jpg

IMG_20230902_170320.jpg

IMG_20230902_170312.jpg

IMG_20230902_170222_1CS.jpg

Can you zoom out a little so we can see the entire area surrounding it?

I don't want to be the one to put a nail in its coffin but that looks pretty bad. You might take it to the welder and see what he thinks he can do.

It looks bad, but it can be rebuilt. Time and money. My looked like that. You need to clean up the area. Make new sheet metal for the area and welded it in.
The existing sheet metal is brittle. It will break off in your hand.
Maybe think about buying a good welder ($1000) or used brand name one. If the cost is above that.
Remember it only sheetmetal.

I'm with @Josh P... I want to see a bigger area so we can get an idea of how big and how bad this spot is. Generally you can either have new sheet metal bent to fit, or you can cut a piece out of a donor Explorer to weld in (cheaper but riskier; these could have rust).

Reminding me that I've got a nice, big rust hole in the Sport... got a body shop that can weld a panel in for me, but nobody to cut the panel out of another Explorer for me.

find a clean truck, and cut those out. that way when you go to fix it, its way less work to do. you will also need to fix the rocker panel as well.

find a clean truck, and cut those out. that way when you go to fix it, its way less work to do. you will also need to fix the rocker panel as well.
You're up in Canada, wherever do you find clean trucks (little rust)? I did find this on the net, so far: 1998 Ford Explorer OEM Chassis Frames & Body Parts — CARiD.com Have one JY locally, doubt trucks around here aren't rustier than mine. Have replacement rockers, BUT: what other year Explorer have the same frame? That would expand the search options!

My opinion is we should spend time helping joney find a newer explorer. This one will make it through another winter, and being creative with craigslist, shipping an explorer can be less money than you think, if time is allowed.

Joney might very well learn to weld with a nice rig, but those are underneath the truck. Might also end up in ER needing plastic surgery too.

My opinion is we should spend time helping joney find a newer explorer. This one will make it through another winter, and being creative with craigslist, shipping an explorer can be less money than you think, if time is allowed.

Joney might very well learn to weld with a nice rig, but those are underneath the truck. Might also end up in ER needing plastic surgery too.
Good ideas! This area seems rather close to the gas tank. Already found I've no aptitude for welding, so if that's done, somebody else will have to do it! Although the paint and interior are great in my Ex, I'd love to find one rust free! To boot, I'm in the middle of a rather unexpected move, still looking for an apartment nearby.

You're up in Canada, wherever do you find clean trucks (little rust)? I did find this on the net, so far: 1998 Ford Explorer OEM Chassis Frames & Body Parts — CARiD.com Have one JY locally, doubt trucks around here aren't rustier than mine. Have replacement rockers, BUT: what other year Explorer have the same frame? That would expand the search options!
it helps when you work at a scrap yard and you are the guy that processes all the cars and trucks that arent flattened. going off those pictures, those are the cab mounts up front near your feet. i have a set waiting in my shed that i chopped off a 03 explorer sport that i will put in my truck

What about a mint condition explorer that just needs an engine or transmission? Could have a shop swap from your current ride to the new one. Plenty of rust free $800 or less ones for sale within 300 miles of Phoenix.

Stepson brought home a clean clean clean 97 yesterday it is a 4 door with 116k miles on it. Transmission failed, stepson is taking the engine 4.0 ohv.
The rest of the truck is up for grabs
We get these once in a while, but this one is really nice.
It’s light blue with the blue interior just like my old 96
Truck is clean has a title I can get some pics I’m sure he would sell it cheap like $3-400

Stepson brought home a clean clean clean 97 yesterday it is a 4 door with 116k miles on it. Transmission failed, stepson is taking the engine 4.0 ohv.
The rest of the truck is up for grabs
We get these once in a while, but this one is really nice.
It’s light blue with the blue interior just like my old 96
Truck is clean has a title I can get some pics I’m sure he would sell it cheap like $3-400
Seems like a good deal. Maybe swap a 302 in, then ship it east.

Back