Can it tow it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can it tow it?

I just purchased an "04 Explorer XLT. It has a very small trailer hitch mounting hole in the back bumper. I have a pop-up camper I'm planning on towing with it. The camper is approx 12 ' long with a single axle. I know the 4.6 has plenty of power to tow it....just wondering about the wimpy looking hitch. I'd hate to put an aftermarkt hitch on it because the factory one is partially hidden by the bumper cover and is pretty descrete. Does anybody know the towing capacity of this hitch and also the max trailer tongue weight it will handle safely?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Class II receiver (1.25") is rated for 3500 lbs. Tongue weight is typically 10% (350 lbs). Should be able to handle a tent trailer just fine. The only thing I ran into was the trailer brake wiring. My tent trailer has electric brakes and I have to wire in a brake controller. I'm still looking into whether or not my 06 is prewired for the additional wires required for electric brakes. Still winter here, so I have not ventured below to see. Although I did notice a heavy guage blue wire (typically for electric brakes) that was just dead ended at the rear near the factory 4 pin connector.

James

Thnx for the info. My truck has the 4 pin plug next to the hitch and it's the same plug my trailer has. I was making sure before the Nascar race in June. Towed it last year with my 3.0 Ranger...what a chore that was. Can't wait to see how the 4.6 will tow it.

04 bumper and popups

:salute:
I just purchased an "04 Explorer XLT. It has a very small trailer hitch mounting hole in the back bumper. I have a pop-up camper I'm planning on towing with it. The camper is approx 12 ' long with a single axle. I know the 4.6 has plenty of power to tow it....just wondering about the wimpy looking hitch. I'd hate to put an aftermarkt hitch on it because the factory one is partially hidden by the bumper cover and is pretty descrete. Does anybody know the towing capacity of this hitch and also the max trailer tongue weight it will handle safely?

The OEM bumper has a metal stamping that tells you the Full Towing capacity of the Bumper.
However, your trailer tongue height should be level with the ball after you have it mounter, If memeory serves me right, the low pop up will not be level when connected to just a 3500# pound bumper ball.

Discrete and safe receiver hitches are available at reasonable prices of install to get full advantage of level towing.
Does the pop up have a battery for interior lighting and or electric brakes.
That would entail a bit more than the basic wiring harness installation.

In any case please consider the Towing capacity plus the contents of the vehicle as Gross vcombined vehicle weight. Just towing the trailer is just okay. Controllling it under duress and stopping it, is as important.

Have the Explorer set up, and match the hitch/harness to the trailer.
Make it right the first time, no worries later..

1-x..-x..-xxxx

Bob

:salute:

The OEM bumper has a metal stamping that tells you the Full Towing capacity of the Bumper.

Not on an '04. If you sell them, you should understand that the '04 bumper is not rated to tow anything. The trailer hitch acts as the reinforcement that the bumper cover hangs on. Aftermarket units that bolt below the OEM class II hitch are available, but I have yet to see an aftermarket hitch that takes the place of the factory receiver.

However, your trailer tongue height should be level with the ball after you have it mounter, If memeory serves me right, the low pop up will not be level when connected to just a 3500# pound bumper ball.
Again, we're not talking about a bumper ball at all. It's a class-II receiver integrated into the rear-most cross member.

Discrete and safe receiver hitches are available at reasonable prices of install to get full advantage of level towing.
Agreed, but they will bolt on below the OEM hitch. You'll have two receivers there, and many people don't like that idea. The factory class-III hitch can be purchased from a dealership or salvage yard and will take the place of the OEM light-duty hitch.

In any case please consider the Towing capacity plus the contents of the vehicle as Gross vcombined vehicle weight. Just towing the trailer is just okay. Controllling it under duress and stopping it, is as important.
Agreed. You'll want to know exactly what the trailer weighs. Any local truck stop with a scale will be able to give you that information for under $10. Take it there with a friend's vehicle you're sure can handle the load. Roll across the scale with the trailer connected, then drop the trailer in the parking lot and roll across the scale with just the tow vehicle. From the numbers provided, you'll be able to calculate the trailer gross weight as well as the tongue weight on the tow vehicle. From there, you may find that your stock hitch is more than capable, or you may be surprised at how much it really weighs.

Have the Explorer set up, and match the hitch/harness to the trailer.
Make it right the first time, no worries later..
Sound advice for any towing situation.

1-x..-x..-xxxx

Please refrain from advertising your phone number, or trolling for customers on this site. If that's not your intention, then I apologize.

-Joe

My apologies- I meant to reply to this shortly after posted, but got busy and forgot. (CRS)

I had a popup or tent camper a little while back, it weighed 3500 lbs according to the mfg label. Mine was an older model, was not configured correctly, the axle was too near to the tongue, so it had little or no tongue weight, pulled horribly. The newer ones have the axle further back and should pull better.

However, Id venture to guess that it would be the upper capacity of your 1.25" receiver hitch. Weighing your trailer is a good idea, make sure you get everything you are going to take in there, camping stuff can add considerable weight. A solid shank, very high quality ball mount would probably do it OK, but a lower quality one may pose a risk. Your trailer probably does not have brakes if it only has a 4 flat connector, so no controller is needed. Just allow for extra braking time, that heavy trailer can push you quite a bit.

Ideally a 2" aftermarket or factory hitch should be installed though.

My 302 V8 pulled my popup well, though the 4.6 is apples to oranges, but I'd say you are in good shape.

Back