Can rear hydraulic tensioner leak oil? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can rear hydraulic tensioner leak oil?

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
I am trying to find the source of a minor oil leak, '97 4.0 SOHC 184,000 miles. No spots in my parking space, but underneath a drop of oil hangs from the bell housing. On the road, every hour or so, you can smell it when that drop blows onto the cat. I got underneath with a flashlight, and as far as I can see there is a bit of oil around the rear hydraulic tensioner. So it either comes from there, or from the valve cover directly above, which is not very visible to me. So my question is do those tensioners leak oil externally.
Many thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen the washer leak on the tensioner itself.

Thanks, swetrid. That looks like where it is coming from. There is a drip forming right there, and running down while the engine is running. Do you know how to make the repair?

This thread may help.:usa:
I have been researching a noise at the right rear of the engine and looks like I'm going to try and replace the tensioner. I found this great one by 2000streetrod.
There was an issue with getting it to seat and washer or no washer. Hope this helps.:)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271605

Thank you Don.

Thank you Dale, I was going to look for that, you saved me the time. Excellent article, by the way.

I needed to update this old thread, in my case it was a cracked valve cover that was leaking, not the rear tensioner.

Back