• Register Today It's free!

Can seats be reversed?

Old Hippie

Reaction score
City, State
Spartanburg, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4x4
Can the front seats in a 93' XLT be reversed?
I got a fat ass and the driver side is starting to show some wear. I want to swap driver w/passenger side and passenger w/driver side but don't want to swap frames that have the power seat stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well... it probably is a direct bolt on, the problem is that there is some sort of bar thing (I believe the clicker thing for the seat belt is attached to it as well) that goes from the right side of the drivers seat (left on the passengers side) and bolts onto the body of the car. I don't think its needed and I don't know what it is for but I think it keeps the seat more stable. Anyways, that would be your first problem. Second problem, it probably wouldn't fit and if you got it to fit it would suck because your controls to move your seat forward and backwards, up and down ect... is on opposite sides... it would be dug into the middle console and you wouldn't be able to get at it. Come to think of it, that would probably stop it from fitting, and your seat belt clicker would be on the wrong side as well :p

Can you possibly unbolt the seat from the track? it may work if you could

I don't know but I doubt it, just buy seat covers, it's easier, that's what I did

or find a seat at a wrecking yard that matches...ploders are a dime a dozen in the wrecking yards

or find a seat at a wrecking yard that matches...ploders are a dime a dozen in the wrecking yards

Or find a good upholstery shop and get the seat recovered with new padding.

As far as upholstery goes, the covers are just snap-on slip covers over molded foam. The foam in both seat bottoms is the same, and you can switch them so that the broken-down thigh boltsers are on the inboard side (less noticeable). The upholstery on the seat bottom is specific to each side b/c there is a hole in the fabric where the recline lever pokes through. I think the upholstery & foam for the seat back is the same for both sides.

All this is easy to remove & re-install, just pay attention to how the foam and upholstery are situated on the frame.

I found a pretty good DIY site for seat covers. I ordered a set for front and back and they matched perfectly and fit as good as originals.

GTCovers

had you done a seat cover install before? wondering how hard to do if never done before.

No, I had never done that before. The instructions were simple. I had taken my seats out as I replaced the entire floor carpet so while they out I put on the new covers.
It might be a bit tighter with the seats still in but no big deal.

thx for the feedback. I have a driver side seat starting to look raggy, sounds like a good project.

Back