Can somebody take a look at a manual for a '99 for me? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can somebody take a look at a manual for a '99 for me?

Thallarsen

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Limited AWD
'99 AWD Rear Parking Brake Adjuster position..HELP

I'm trying to figure out the orientation of the adjusters with the star nuts (threaded adjusters that spread the parking brake shoes).
Are the nuts toward the front of the car or rear?
This makes a difference, since they thread in a particular way.
Anybody know..or have a manual handy?
Thanks!
J.P.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't remember they way they face, but they're easily visible if you remove the rotor.

Yea, problem is that I'm in the process of replacing the brakes. Have the new shoes 1/2way on, and I'm trying to figure out whether the star wheel goes toward the front or toward the rear (or different directions for right and left).
Come to think of it, if there's a hole for adjustment on the back of the hubs, maybe it will show me how to orient the star wheels....I'll go check.

Trying to figure out the orientation of the starwheel adjuster assemblies for the parking brake shoes. (see post below)
I thought I'd be able to tell by looking at the access holes in the back of the hub, but it's wide and centered..
I'm thinking that if I put those adjusters in backwards, my parking brakes won't adjust as the shoes wear.
Anybody have a manual showing the rear parking brake assembly that they can take a gander at?
Thanks,
J.P.

The adjuster screw star section should be pointing toward the drivers compartment from what I remember.. Also I merged your two threads together.

I've got the car on jackstands and I"m getting greasy fingerprints all over my keyboard, trying to find the answer.
Co-Moderator:
You say "
YOUR LACK OF SEARCHING DOES NOT MAKE IT AN EMERGENCY
I did a search, to no avail...that's why I posted in 911. Since you've somehow determined that I didn't do a search, where might I find a definitive answer?

I don't think it matters. Sorry, I thought you were trying to find them. I think they'll work either way.

Here's a pix from the Haynes manual. It shows the star to the front of the vehicle.

Attachments

• File0001.jpg
    File0001.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 165

Thallarsen said:
I've got the car on jackstands and I"m getting greasy fingerprints all over my keyboard, trying to find the answer.
Co-Moderator:
You say " I did a search, to no avail...that's why I posted in 911. Since you've somehow determined that I didn't do a search, where might I find a definitive answer?

That is part of my signature cause a majority of people who post techincal questions fail to search prior.

Thanks for the replies. I did a little searching and found images showing various rear drum brake systems.
Apparently it does matter how the adjusters are oriented, since they are actuated by the slight vertical movement of the trailing brake shoe that occurs whenever the brakes are applied in reverse. I'm not exactly sure how a parking brake keeps its adjustment, unless the brake is set while the car is rolling backward. How often does that happen?
All of the images that I found showed the star/threaded side toward the rear of the car where the adjusters were located at the bottom of the shoes (like my X). For adjusters located at the top of the shoes, it looks like the star/thread is oriented toward the front of the car.
I just wanted to get this right, because messing with these shoes is a PITA.

When I look in my 99 CD manual, it shows the star adjuster to the rear... but that would assume the pic is of the passenger side, which I think it is. Wish I could be more definite.

In all honesty, it won't matter.... You simply need to orient it such that as the actuator comes down on it, it will un-screw it. It really makes no difference which one is on which side.

I had the same dilemma with mine when I did them a couple months ago. I set them up such that they were closer to center of the hole (one way was closer to center than the other)

-Joe

Back