Can someone confirm I bought the right control arms/ball joints for my ex? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can someone confirm I bought the right control arms/ball joints for my ex?

acoustiplorer

Reaction score
City, State
buffalo
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport
Hi all, I need upper and lower ball joints so I bought the pressed control arms to make the job easier. I suppose I should've posted this thread before buying them but here we are. Its a 99 sport.

I bought:
Moog RK620319 - right lower
Moog RK620320 - left lower
Moog RK8708 - left upper
Moog RK8710 - right upper

Does that sound right? I looked at a few different car part identifiers. Thanks for any input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a search on Rockauto.com & came up with for moog on a 99 Sport;
lower BJ - K8695T 2 required.
Upper Arm r/s - CK80068 1 piece arm
Upper Arm l/s - CK8708T. 1 piece arm

Go with the one I posted for the upper arms & do away with the 2 piece arm on the r/s. That is what I did on my 00 Ranger when I replaced them, also install a caster/camber bolt kit so a proper alignment can be done.
K80065. https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=504145&cc=1354542&jnid=508&jpid=7
I checked the numbers for the complete lower arm & I came up with the same numbers you posted. I just did lower ball joints on my Ranger & I will do them on our 99 Sport next year.

The lower bj you listed is just a bj, not the control arm too. My friend is helping me install it so I wanted to spend a little more money to make the job easier. its just that there were sooo many choices on rockauto I was hoping someone would confirm that they bought the same thing And it worked. I'm sure I'll be fine as I bought it on rockauto.

For Moog parts, go to http://www.moogproblemsolver.com first to get the correct part number then search by part number at your favorite auto parts place (RockAuto, Amazon, etc.)

The "CK" (formerly "K") part numbers are the Good Stuff.

The "RK" parts are the lesser line.

"K" (if you can find them) or "CK" parts if you plan on keeping your vehicle around for a while, "RK" parts if you're getting ready to sell it.

All of the parts you purchased are "correct" for your vehicle, just from the lower quality line. I wouldn't replace the entire lower control arms unless you know the bushings are bad. It's much easier to just replace the lower ball joint on the vehicle.

All of the parts Mike65 listed are correct also, better parts and less work. One-piece upper control arm on the right side replaces the original two-piece factory part.

I would suggest you replace the Camber/Caster bolts while you're at it. You may need more adjustability than the stock ones allow when you go to get your front end alignment after replacing all of these parts. Moog part K80065. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2268137

Have fun, I did all of this during the Summer along with new brakes (replaced all four corners - stainless steel braided brake lines, calipers, rotors and pads) before buying new tires. She drives (and STOPS) like a brand new vehicle that just happens to have 263K miles on her!

I wouldn't replace the entire lower control arms unless you know the bushings are bad. It's much easier to just replace the lower ball joint on the vehicle.
^ Best advice in this thread. Very seldom do the LCA bushings require replacing, and the labor cost and mega press required may not be worth the added expense. Also, as Mike65 suggested, upgrading to the stronger one-piece passenger UCA is highly recommended although you lose the caster adjustment the two piece offers and may require camber kits for alignment. IIRC, the ball joints may not be replaceable with the stamped Moog RK "Service Grade" control arms. +3 on upgrading to the "real" Moog CK products if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term.

Ford Truck Upper Control Arm Replacement
http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pdf_en2/DYK10_106_En.pdf

Well I did use the moog website and the parts I bought were all listed there. I didn't know about the high end and low end moog parts, I just knew anything moog was a good buy.

Im not doing the job myself, I already agreed on a price for my friend to do it. And the parts were already delivered to my house and the job is being done on Sat so its a little too late to return and replace. As long as everything fits correctly I'll be happy. I did ask him what he preferred to work with, just the ball joint or the pressed control arm and he told me to buy the control arms so he knows what hes getting into.

At 155k miles I feel like my new ball joints would outlast my engine anyway.

Back