Can someone explain what goes here? Weird hole under intake manifold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can someone explain what goes here? Weird hole under intake manifold

Sportracboy

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 2WD
1000023292.jpg

Can someone tell me what tube goes here? It seems oil is leaking from there. This is an 05 Ford Explorer SPORT TRAC XLT 2WD. 4.0 Engine
*CORRECTION : Ford Body is an 05 but engine is an 07
20231227_114003.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is 05 sohc engine just fyi

I believe that is for the crankcase breather there is a box that attaches to there and gives you hoses for the pcv system
Somebody else should confirm as I dont work on these everyday like i do the other engines
the 05 intake is different from the 97-02 intake I am used to

You are missing the pcv breather box that goes there for the pcv system

View attachment 448485
Can someone tell me what tube goes here? It seems oil is leaking from there. This is an 05 Ford Explorer SPORT TRAC XLT 2WD. 4.0 Engine

View attachment 448486
So it looks like ford got rid of the breather box after 01 so what we have here is a 97-00 Job 1 engine and what your sport trac originally came with was a job 2 engine I will do further research and see what you need to fix this issue

the later sohcs Ive seen have this hole plugged with a brass freeze plug
is it possible this engine was replaced with another unit and somebody forgot the freeze plug
Looks like oil has been leaking from there for some time

is it possible this engine was replaced with another unit and somebody forgot the freeze plug
That's what it looks like to me maybe a job 1 engine was installed and they didn't install the freeze plug

Thank you so much. I was hella perplexed

So it looks like ford got rid of the breather box after 01 so what we have here is a 97-00 Job 1 engine and what your sport trac originally came with was a job 2 engine I will do further research and see what you need to fix this issue
I appreciate good sir 💪
I forgot to mention... That engine came from an 07. Perhaps Job 3? Lol.. I believe there are minor but distinct differences from 05 and 07...

I appreciate good sir 💪

I forgot to mention... That engine came from an 07. Perhaps Job 3? Lol.. I believe there are minor but distinct differences from 05 and 07...
No problem, if that engine is in fact from an 07 than the freeze plug somehow came out or was removed I would replace the PCV valve after you install a new freeze plug to make sure the crankcase ventilation system is functioning properly.

No problem, if that engine is in fact from an 07 than the freeze plug somehow came out or was removed I would replace the PCV valve after you install a new freeze plug to make sure the crankcase ventilation system is functioning properly.
F*cking A 💪🤘

I appreciate good sir 💪

I believe the freeze plug size you need is 6 x 4 x 0.1 but I can't be entirely sure

View attachment 448485
*CORRECTION : Ford Body is an 05 but engine is an 07
View attachment 448486
Idk if anyone is on the thread still but i desperately need to know what the piece directly above/behind this freeze plug with the lil 10mm (not a knock sensor).. im installing a reman and it does not have this piece and the old one definitely aint coming out haha

Idk if anyone is on the thread still but i desperately need to know what the piece directly above/behind this freeze plug with the lil 10mm (not a knock sensor).. im installing a reman and it does not have this piece and the old one definitely aint coming out haha
Possibly a ground strap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure looks like a knock sensor but your picture is not very clear. Does wiring plug into it?

No ground straps under the intake plenum lol the bolt he is talking about is circled above and is located in the valley

The 07 engine should have had a freeze plug in there unless it was installed in something else or it’s not really from an 07? Something fishy imo

Back