Can someone measure their stock springs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can someone measure their stock springs

reserved50

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport Exploder
Wondering what the uninstalled height of the front coil springs is. Is there a difference in height between sport and non sport if anyone knows.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't you Measure your own?

I could but why would I remove mine if someone already has a stock set removed :D.It would only benefit other members since I'm looking at a different way to lower it

Wondering what the uninstalled height of the front coil springs is. Is there a difference in height between sport and non sport if anyone knows.
According to the following site the 2013 Sport front coils are not compatible with a 2011 Base. It just gives part number and which trims the springs are compatible with. No measurements that I saw.
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/
Not sure if that helps at all.

Peter

15" for a sport.. just installed h&r and just boxed the OEM to throw on ebay for sale...

ok thanks, so 15" exact? Does anyone have a non turbo model they can measure also?

The AWD, FWD, turbo etc all have different part numbers because they all have different ride heights/weights etc. so ford lists them as not being interchangeable but they will fit.

15 exact.. but keep in mind.. its not just the height of the spring that determines ride height... is also the spring rate

http://www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm

That's the tough part, I was hoping there was an obvious difference in height, diameter etc. I might have to get my hands on a used front suspension setup from a wrecking yard and compare it to what I have. The perch heights on the Flex struts may be different according to the Monroe site, that could be the reason in ride height between the two vehicles :(. I probably will just end up having the front factory Explorer springs re-tempered and shortened from a spring shop.

One way is to use the Sport Ex springs front and rear, but still didn't think they were low enough or had too much of a rake. The aftermarket ones I thought were a bit too low, especially the Flex ones .
The other way I did was cut 3/4 of a bottom coil from the rear, on the front I had a shop reset the front spring exactly 1" lower from the 15" mine started out from. It doesn't look raised like when it first started out but doesn't look lowered either, I would take pictures but I have random wheels on it now as temps, its not something I would care to show :snicker:
If you just want to level the rear out so it doesn't sit as high , you can cut the rear coil on the bottom by 1/2 a coil (make sure you pull the top of the knuckle outwards before you tighten the bolt to bring the camber back to factory specs!!), this should make it sit slightly higher than the front or close to level, every vehicles different, to cut 3/4 is too much I would guess, it was on mine if I was looking to level it.

Rear before to center of wheel arch

after

Front before to center of wheel arch

after

I'm still curious how factory Flex springs measure out, if they would lower an Explorer at all

h&r gave me 31.25F and 32.25R
posted previously that just using h&r rears will even her out with only a difference of .25"

I was looking at other peoples measurements for hours and they're all different, turbo, AWD, FWD, towing package, 4 cyl etc etc. I wouldn't mind if I had bought the H&R springs and it sat at the same measurements as yours, except I'd rather have 1/2" of rake instead of 1" (the lower the vehicle the more obvious the front to back height difference). This way I didn't feel silly buying springs then adjusting them to fit what I was looking for, I know for Mustangs and other popular cars they had different springs for different engines, different options/weights etc.

For the rear I would rather cut off a section of the rear spring than buy the entire set to use only half the kit, yes I did call H&R to confirm. The other issue I was worried about if the spring rates would give a strange feeling only using half the kit. When I tested mine after lowering it feels perfect, guessing maybe 15-20% stiffer over stock but not at all harsh or even close, it does have that stiffer performance feeling over bumps similar to a sports car.

A lot of the Explorer Sport/Interceptor Utility people are shocked that the drop the H&Rs give isn't as much as the non sports since they already come "lowered".

Back