can someone tell me what this is?

scooter3079

Reaction score
City, State
Macon,mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ford Explorer
084.jpg

This is on the transfer case facing forward.

082.jpg

This line was hanging next to it loose so I suppose It goes there but it's really brittle and no good. The transfer case:

085.jpg

Would this have anything to do with why it won't go when putting it in geaR?

Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a breather.

so I assume I need to attach a new hose to it but that's not going to fix my not going into gear problem is it? lol

You should add the hose, but no. Unless you lost fluid out of it and seized up the transmission or it causing some kind of issue because it's low on fluid.
Good luck

Took the pan off and here are the pics of it. The bolts weren't very tight. It didn't take anything to break them loose. so I don't know it that may have something to do with it. There is alot of gray sludge it the corner of the pan and metal flakes inside the pan.

090.jpg

091.jpg

092.jpg

093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

098.jpg

099.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

Took the pan off and here are the pics of it. The bolts weren't very tight. It didn't take anything to break them loose. so I don't know it that may have something to do with it. There is alot of gray sludge it the corner of the pan and metal flakes inside the pan.

090.jpg

091.jpg

092.jpg

093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

098.jpg

099.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

Your fluid looks burnt. What did it smell like?

Find, any gear oil always smells horrid. I think sight is a better measure when it comes to gear oil. Although atf isn't nearly as bad as diff oil

Find, any gear oil always smells horrid. I think sight is a better measure when it comes to gear oil. Although atf isn't nearly as bad as diff oil

That's his transmission. It uses ATF. His transfer case is also supposed to fill with ATF. Don't worry, I know what gear oil smells like, I was a mechanic for more than a decade. A burnt chestnut smell indicates badly burnt tranny fluid, that is why I was asking about the smell.

OP, given what your fluid looks like, and the fact it doesn't go when you shift into gear... I'd estimate you have a tranny rebuild or replacement in your future.

Back