Can the BW4404 AWD T-case handle high horsepower? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can the BW4404 AWD T-case handle high horsepower?

Bugzturbo

Reaction score
City, State
Collegeville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport 4x4
Friend of mine is considering converting his V8 Ranger to AWD using the Explorer V8 BW4404 transfer case. Question is, what kind of power are they capable of holding? Truck puts out around 500hp right now and the purpose of the AWD swap was to help with traction issues and kind of make it a "Syclone killer". Would the coupling in that case be able to handle that kind of power? Can it be upgraded to do so if not? Or would a regular case be a better idea? And does anyone know if the case would bolt to a C6 trans, or would it have to use the Explorers AOD trans as well? Just kinda brainstorming right now to see if it's really feasible. Thanks

A 96 - early 97 one would be your best bet. They use a normal front driveshaft where the newer ones use a 6 bolt ball setup at the T-case. Will they hold 500 hp....... yes but not sure how long. I had a mountaineer with a ton of bolt ons and a 100 shot and was running 9.0 in the 1/8 and the only issue I had was the ball setup on the front shaft. I ran it down the track at least 40-50 times with my best 60 ft being 1.6.

Your looking to put the case in a lot lighter truck which will reduce the stress a good bit but the vicous coupling will be the weak link. Considering you can find them at junkyards for under $200 and rebuild them yourself for under $300 I think it would be a good lightweight option. Any other t-case setup will be a ton heavier.

It will bolt up to all 4r70/aod/C* transmissions

Ok, thanks. I knew about the ball style shafts being an issue, I've had to replace enough of them on stock trucks, let alone a modified one. Race weight with driver should be about 3500# with driver after the conversion. Biggest concern is the viscous coupler holding up. Can it be modified at all to strengthen it? Even if the case can handle it, not looking to have to rebuild the coupler twice a year.

Back