Can the factory bed cover latches be released manually? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can the factory bed cover latches be released manually?

429CJ-3X2

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01,'02, '04 Sport Tracs,
'02 Sport Trac in the salvage yard has a factory bed cover. The cover itself is only so-so, and I don't need it, but I'd like to get it open and get the brackets even if I don't buy the cover. The original cables have been replaced with cords, but pulling on the cords isn't releasing the latches. Any way to release them with a screwdriver or pick of some sort?

'02 Sport Trac in the salvage yard has a factory bed cover. The cover itself is only so-so, and I don't need it, but I'd like to get it open and get the brackets even if I don't buy the cover. The original cables have been replaced with cords, but pulling on the cords isn't releasing the latches. Any way to release them with a screwdriver or pick of some sort?
Yes,, I don't have a key for mine. What you do is reach up behind the latch and use your finger and push it towards you. Just look at the latch and look where the end of the steel wire is and push that towards you while pulling up at the same time.

Went to the salvage yard this morning and got the cover off by grabbing the release cable with needle nose pliers through the opening in the side of the latch, which I now realize is how I got mine off when I put the topper on. Turns out what I was pulling on before were the bungees that hold the cover down when it's folded forward. The cables on mine were broken and I rigged up a way to pull the cables manually, which is what I was thinking had been done here. These cables may or may not be intact, but as hard as I had to pull on the cable inside the latches, I doubt it would have unlocked with the key, if I'd had it. All the latches need serious lubrication. After getting the rear latches to release, I folded the cover forward, and saw what you mentioned above, but pulling on the cable the way I did worked better in this case.

The salvage yard wanted $75, which is way too much since it needs work to be usable, and it's missing parts. Could have pointed that out, plus the fact I'm pretty much the only person it's worth anything to - most of the parts that are missing are missing because I bought them last week and today - but they had other customers and I don't want it that bad.

I removed the lock cables from my salvage yard cover and attached new nylon pull ropes to unlatch.

Back