Can You Adjust Steering Play??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can You Adjust Steering Play???

x2 ,i always wonder what that was for:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hm. Someone said that you can adjust this from the top, I just dont see it happening. 1998 Ford Explorer Sport... what am I missing here? Is it much easier to go in from the bottom?

Hm. Someone said that you can adjust this from the top, I just dont see it happening. 1998 Ford Explorer Sport... what am I missing here? Is it much easier to go in from the bottom?

Your posting in a 1st Gen forum (91-94). Later generations (95+) use a power steering rack not a steering gear.

This us a 1st gen gearbox sjdurb, it may be different in your vehicle. BTW best way to get to this is to remove the fan and shroud. Lock nut is 17mm deep wall.

Done and it did corect a lot of the steering wander. I still have a few more 1/4 turns left but it's too cold outside to do anything.

wandering ? is different from a little play? that Is wheels moving on there own as compared to a little slop at center wheel of which id like to correct for freeway convienience you still want postitive friction/drag at center at all times so you can draw the line while driving if not then you have to constantly move the wheel in corrections Am I correct

the above STRANGER link docs are great to describe the center teeth as tapered thinner than the rest of the set purposefully as to be in center lane down the road

the mesh load will be my next Exp with my Exp but I am not postitive this will solve my quest to maintain a positive center friction when as stated it might prevent from getting to center or put excessive load and wear ......he haw

my 67 bug had more slop at times than a bad women but you could easily tighten her down to get performance as the world moves to ever more tolerant parts we possibly can get to the point of earlier demise in that there is need for adjustments in play just love late model fords but what happened to the probe and chevy didn't want to catch the poney with the cavalier

bump bump

what success have members had with steering wheel slop of 1/8-1/4 turn?

Sased my explorer and hooked up the power steering lines wrong , started it a few times and the wheel immediate spun left, I tried to hold it but the wheel ripped it out of my hands. Wondering if I created the slop or ruined the box by doing this. Swapped the lines, and staring at the steering shaft while steering looks like there is no play, it is definitely coming from the box.

If you think the box might be bad due to the lines mistake... go ahead and tighten the screw, what's it going to hurt? :D

Really though, mine had significant slop that was reduced by about 70% with a pinch more than 1/4 turn. I could probably go more but there's no binding, the wheel returns to center and it feels nice now. I don't want to push my luck.

If you think the box might be bad due to the lines mistake... go ahead and tighten the screw, what's it going to hurt? :D

Really though, mine had significant slop that was reduced by about 70% with a pinch more than 1/4 turn. I could probably go more but there's no binding, the wheel returns to center and it feels nice now. I don't want to push my luck.

Haha exactly kinda don't have anything to lose.

How are you guys getting to the adjustment, the power steering pump is almost on top of it?

Going to lower my box

I think I ended up doing mine while I had the fan & shroud off for whatever reason. I might have even had the radiator out. It's tough getting in there with all the stuff assembled.

I had between 1/4 and an 1/8 of slop, tightened the top screw a half turn, made a difference but going to do another half turn.

Time to adjust my steering box and I have the same problem. The belt and power steering pump are right over the adjusting screw. I see some comments about removing the radiator and fan but that's not really an issue as much as the power steering pump and belt.

How are you guys getting to the adjustment, the power steering pump is almost on top of it?

Still can't figure this out. The procedure look easy but access to do it isn't very easy. Will I need to take the power steering pump off? I need to replace the oil pressure sender and it's right in there so I may just do that unless anyone can give me an better way to do this.

Still can't figure this out. The procedure look easy but access to do it isn't very easy. Will I need to take the power steering pump off? I need to replace the oil pressure sender and it's right in there so I may just do that unless anyone can give me an better way to do this.

You should be able to get to it on a 1st gen explorer. I'm trying to remember how things were routed stock (been years since our X was stock) but I'm pretty sure you do not need to go in from side (remove inner fender) but I vaguely remember using a short screw driver.

~Mark

Back