• Register Today It's free!

Can you believe it?

not turbo

Reaction score
City, State
Everett WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 Bronco 2
So I had the oil changed at one of those quickie places several months ago...my B2 broke down right after that (lifter failure) and it's taken some time to get it all put back together and running right...except it wasn't really running right.

Seemed to be sluggish, temp would overheat after almost exactly 23 minutes of running. (Yes, 23 minutes--idling, city, freeway)

I checked the oil level and it seemed to be a bit high, although I could never get a good reading--the dipshtick was always covered in oil. I decided to change it, because it seemed *really* black.

I opened the drain and the oil spurted all the way onto the TIRE! wow, why so much pressure? I thought....then I noticed the 8-qt pan was filling up....and up...and UP...within 1/2" of the top, I quickly found another pan and dumped another GALLON of oil into it....

Total of 3 gallons of oil came out of the 2.9. 3 GALLONS!

I changed the filter, put in 5 qts. and now it runs *much* better. I have come to hate those quickie places (this isn't the first time a goof up happened)

Anyway, just a fyi if anyone's curious what happens when the oil pan is SERIOUSLY overfilled...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm. That crank was really frosting up the oil. In other words the crank was spinning in deep oil and most likly putting a lot of air bubbles in the oil. Not good. Also keep a close watch on your seals. Just one reason I've never taken any of me cars to one of those places.

Hmmm. That crank was really frosting up the oil. In other words the crank was spinning in deep oil and most likly putting a lot of air bubbles in the oil. Not good. Also keep a close watch on your seals. Just one reason I've never taken any of me cars to one of those places.

Crankshaft seals?

was it all oil that you drained?? no coolant no fuel?

Man that sucks, which place was it.

Man that sucks, which place was it.

I don't remember, since it was almost a year ago. Generally the wife finds coupons and we go to wherever....but I've found dirty oil (put back in, apparently), loose drain plugs, and now ridiculously excessive oil amounts.

I can change the oil for about the same price, and know it's done right, just gotta make another trip to Schucks' to turn it in. (Gives me another chance to browse the trinkets aisle ;) )

So now there's a different problem.

When I drained out the old (3-gal.) oil, it was *very* dirty, but it was still oil. No evidence of contamination.

I figured I'd do the oil change, and after a month or so, change it again (this time to straight 30w to reduce the "0 pressure at stop lights" syndrome). I *know* I put in exactly 5 quarts, oil showed good all that time...

When I drained it I got 8 quarts! Again, just oil--no contamination. It wasn't even that dirty...I could see through it, given 1/4" or so.

Somewhere in my Bronc there's an evil gnome, dumping in random amounts of oil...

Any ideas where this extra volume of oil might be coming from? Or what other fluid(s) it might be? (I do lose tranny fluid, about 1 qt/month, but I believe that's a front seal going/gone out)

Water is fine, oil is fine. No evidence of contamination.

:scratch: :confused:

yu can see through the oil.....thats gas on top buddy. Have your oil sent in for an analysis to see what really is in there.

So now there's a different problem.

When I drained it I got 8 quarts! Again, just oil--no contamination. It wasn't even that dirty...I could see through it, given 1/4" or so.

:

It was probably the same oil as before and that there was so much that the high level put the oil in a place that didn't drain, so as you drove it around it made its way back down.

yu can see through the oil.....thats gas on top buddy. Have your oil sent in for an analysis to see what really is in there.

So now it's been a week and a half....the dipstick is showing about 3 qts high (again!), oil is still clear, but if I walk away from the truck (carrying the dipstick) there *is* a faint smell of gasoline.

I'm sure that's bad, but what could be causing it? Maybe blowby from the pistons, or perhaps fuel dumping--ok, trickling--into the oil areas?

2.9l

bad rings....lots of blow by

I have had three 2.9 Broncs and two of them have done the same thing, soon you will get a rough idle and then it won't run at all. All this because of a bad fuel pressure regulator, easy fix it's located in the fuel rail.;)

If you are smelling gas, and getting lots of excess liquid in the oil, I'd suggest the fuel pres. reg. is blown. Either that or your injector(s) are bleeding down when shut off, this would then run down past the rings. I've seen Regs. do strange things on Fords.

before i bought the b2 from my neighbor,he had the same problem.i thought it was the injectors.so we trashed the 2.9l and got one for rusty acres,we rebuilt the one from rusty acres for 6 hundred total,(kept the core).then same thing.new everything!!!! still doing it....then he had a brain fart and traced the line and changed the f.p.g. and walla done deal.so alot of wasted money but what the hell,he wanted my 88k5,so we traded, i got a basically new motor and i know everythign that has been done it's a pretty f-n solid truck as soon as i get picks i'll post em for yah. oh yeah mine is a 88. on 29x10 super swamper tsl/sx's. push button 4x4.

I have had three 2.9 Broncs and two of them have done the same thing, soon you will get a rough idle and then it won't run at all. All this because of a bad fuel pressure regulator, easy fix it's located in the fuel rail.;)

Update on this problem:

Once a month, maybe two months, I'd check and drain the oil. Each time I'd get 2-3 gallons of fluid...not black, but more of a honey-molasses color. No excuse why I hadn't changed the regulator, or otherwise fixed it, just not enough time/money at the same moment...

About two weeks ago, it started to run rough...and I remembered this post. Parked the Bronc, found a free and almost new donor engine, and started taking it apart in preparation for the swap.

When I unhooked the "S"-shaped vaccum line in the back of the regulator, my hand got a good coating of reddish fluid. I think it's tranny fluid...at least it looks like it. (I also have a problem with missing tranny fluid, about 3/4 qt each week)

3/4 qt x 9 weeks (2 months) = 1.6 gallons, pretty close to what I've seen...:scratch:

Does anyone know of a connection between the fuel pressure regulator, the tranny, and the oil pan?

Oh well, it's getting a new engine in a week.

But tranny fluid in the regulator?!?

On reflection, it might have been brake fluid. It's also red like tranny fluid, and the vacuum port is hooked up directly to the master cylinder...

That would explain much...but not the loss of tranny fluid (no drips under the vehicle, btw)

Hmmmm....:roll: :confused:

Modulator

Update on this problem:

Once a month, maybe two months, I'd check and drain the oil. Each time I'd get 2-3 gallons of fluid...not black, but more of a honey-molasses color. No excuse why I hadn't changed the regulator, or otherwise fixed it, just not enough time/money at the same moment...

About two weeks ago, it started to run rough...and I remembered this post. Parked the Bronc, found a free and almost new donor engine, and started taking it apart in preparation for the swap.

When I unhooked the "S"-shaped vaccum line in the back of the regulator, my hand got a good coating of reddish fluid. I think it's tranny fluid...at least it looks like it. (I also have a problem with missing tranny fluid, about 3/4 qt each week)

3/4 qt x 9 weeks (2 months) = 1.6 gallons, pretty close to what I've seen...:scratch:

Does anyone know of a connection between the fuel pressure regulator, the tranny, and the oil pan?

Oh well, it's getting a new engine in a week.

But tranny fluid in the regulator?!?

You didn't mention that it was an auto, the vacume modulator in the trans is blown therefore allowing ATF to be sucked into the engine and related vacume systems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You didn't mention that it was an auto, the vacume modulator in the trans is blown therefore allowing ATF to be sucked into the engine and related vacume systems.

Yep..most likely candidate. When the diaphragm in the vacuum modulator splits, it pulls tranny fluid into the vacuum system, which promptly dumps it into the motor...

Back