• Register Today It's free!

Can you update the SD card?

Motsiball

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 FordExplorer XLT 4X4
We have a 2011 Ford Explorer and as you know it comes with an SD card for the navigation system. Well since the car is 9 years old there have obviously been some changes to the roads over that time but my Explorer navigation system does not have those new roads in its system. Is there a website I can go to that will allow me to download those updates and load them onto my SD card? Or do i just need to go buy a new SD card from the dealer? Thanks in advance for your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have a 2011 Ford Explorer and as you know it comes with an SD card for the navigation system. Well since the car is 9 years old there have obviously been some changes to the roads over that time but my Explorer navigation system does not have those new roads in its system. Is there a website I can go to that will allow me to download those updates and load them onto my SD card? Or do i just need to go buy a new SD card from the dealer? Thanks in advance for your input.
Go on Ebay and buy the newest A11 map set. 38 bucks vs over $200 from the stealer. I've bought the ebay version several times, its cheap, authentic and the maps indeed update year-to-year as I checked the regions where the speed limit went up to 75 in MIchigan. Nothing about the dealer's offer is better, its an SD card with a file copied onto it. Worth it, all you do is stick it in there.

It has also been mentioned by a few members that not all those eBay or Amazon cards have worked. Seems some were selling copies. For $38 it may be worth a chance.
Here is another option. Navigation Map Updates | Explorer 2011 | HERE

Peter

It has also been mentioned by a few members that not all those eBay or Amazon cards have worked. Seems some were selling copies. For $38 it may be worth a chance.
Here is another option. Navigation Map Updates | Explorer 2011 | HERE

Peter

I can attest to this. I got one of Amazon for around $40.
It worked for a week or 2 and then just stopped working (loading error). I tried removing, reinstalling, turning off/on....etc, but nothing worked.
Reinstalled the old card and all was well.
I was able to return the defective card for a full refund, so that was a plus.
For the driving that I do (developed city), the updated card didn't really have any benefit for me, so I didn't worry about trying again.

So I just go to Amazon and search for Ford A11 SD card to buy it?

So I just go to Amazon and search for Ford A11 SD card to buy it?

You can, but it's a chance that you have to figure out if you want to take.

Many people haven't had issues, but my Amazon card didn't last long.

You should also know that if you haven't updated your Sync software, that could be a cause for problems. I'm guessing some of the people who have experienced issues with maps simply never updated Sync.

Owner.ford.com has the updates for you, you just need a correctly formatted usb stick to update your car with the correct process. You can find the update Sync how-to on that site and probably on here somewhere I'm sure. Follow the instructions exactly. Correctly format the usb stick first and you're good to go.

I have usually just bought the one previous to the newest from ebay. Cheaper than the newest and serve my needs and have never had a problem but have always updated the sync system.

You should also know that if you haven't updated your Sync software, that could be a cause for problems. I'm guessing some of the people who have experienced issues with maps simply never updated Sync.

Owner.ford.com has the updates for you, you just need a correctly formatted usb stick to update your car with the correct process. You can find the update Sync how-to on that site and probably on here somewhere I'm sure. Follow the instructions exactly. Correctly format the usb stick first and you're good to go.
So not only do you need to update or buy a new the SD card for your ford navagation system but you also have to update the Sync software in your car too? SMH

So not only do you need to update or buy a new the SD card for your ford navagation system but you also have to update the Sync software in your car too? SMH
Not necessarily, but you should always keep your Sync software updated with the latest officially released version available. Updates may contain 'fixes' to previous versions. I believe the latest version is V3.10 which was a dealer install only the last I heard. I believe the latest user update is V3.8.

Peter

Yes, you need to update your Sync as well as the maps. The Sync update is free, just create an account on the Ford Owner site. I bought every one of my map update SD cards on Ebay and never had an issue. Were they copies? Maybe, but they worked correctly and updated to the most recent roads (about a year behind). Count yourself lucky, on our 2017 there is no option except to pay the Ford price.

I have used Amazon for years. Have never been scammed, have always gotten 100% of refund on everything i have ever returned. I am not giving my opinion on this, just facts about my experience.

Back