• Register Today It's free!

Canada winch questions

Regulator_XLS

Reaction score
City, State
Barrie, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
anybody think its a big deal that i leave my winch on all winter or should i cover it when not in use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see no reason to cover it, I don't cover mine. Are you worried about road salt or something like that? The only time I see winch covers are when they are on street queens who never use the winch.

x2 on the cable. If you're using steel cable (as opposed to synthetic), remove the cable, coil it up and soak it in a bucket of oil (transmission fluid works, so does hydraulic fluid). Then re-install the cable on to the winch. If you're using synthetic rope, make sure its not winded up too tightly or else it will flatten out instead of being round.

Often, its the solenoids that are affected most by the weather, so if you can, mount the solenoids somewhere where they'll be dry (inside the cab is probably the best idea).

Yeah X2 on the Solenoids. I have had one set lock up after winter and burnt the winch motor up. I am taking my solenoids off this winter and putting them in the truck so if i must use the winch i can just add the solenoids and add power.

I wheel in the winter so i use it just as much as i do in the summer.

Ive always used this stuff on the cable- its Dupont "multi-use oil" with teflon and its in a spray can. This is the best thing ever made by humans ever for motorcycle O-ring chains, winch cables, or anything you dont want road grime to stick to. The only place i have been able to find it at is Lowes, next to the WD-40. Spool the cable out, get a shop towel, and spray the hell out of the cable and wipe it as you wind it in.

As for the solonoids, cover them liberally with battery cable grease.

Ive always used this stuff on the cable- its 3M "multi-use oil" with teflon and its in a spray can...The only place i have been able to find it at is Lowes, next to the WD-40
Teflon .. ah that reminds me:

Most bicycle shops cary "dry" lubricants (as opposed to "wet" types which are more of the traditional lubricants) which feels more like a thin coating of wax after application. These are often Teflon-based.

Example: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=113&subcategory_ID=4213

Teflon .. ah that reminds me:

Most bicycle shops cary "dry" lubricants (as opposed to "wet" types which are more of the traditional lubricants) which feels more like a thin coating of wax after application. These are often Teflon-based.

Example: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=113&subcategory_ID=4213
Thats what this stuff is. It is waaaayy better than anything ive ever used on chains and even the winch cable. It stays alot cleaner and will not pick up grime or gunk as fast as most other wax dry lubes. http://www.properautocare.com/dupelu.html

FYI- its Dupont multi-use NOT 3M. I edited my earlier post to cover up my brain fart. :p:

Back