canceled message with cruise control on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

canceled message with cruise control on

dlmz

Reaction score
City, State
Cobden. IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
On my 2020 Explorer xlt I have gotten a "canceled" message and ding sound while using cruise control but it doesn't appear anything is canceled. The message only stays on about 10 seconds. The dealer did a diagnostic check and didn't find anything but that actually seemed to fix it until now. It has been maybe 5 months since the diagnostic check and it has started again. Has anyone else had this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is a warning that the lane departure feature (or maybe lane centering, I don't understand the difference) has been cancelled. As near as I can tell, it happens when there is no white line on a side of the road so the car can't stay in the lane. Watch the display and you will see one of the lines has disappeared on the side of the picture of the lane. When a white line is found, the line reappear on the dash display.

It is a warning that the lane departure feature (or maybe lane centering, I don't understand the difference) has been cancelled. As near as I can tell, it happens when there is no white line on a side of the road so the car can't stay in the lane. Watch the display and you will see one of the lines has disappeared on the side of the picture of the lane. When a white line is found, the line reappear on the dash display.
That is normal. Mine does that when you are passing an off-ramp when one of the lines on road disappear and also and certain intersections where the median is split for left turns and there is no left side lane marking.

That is normal. Mine does that when you are passing an off-ramp when one of the lines on road disappear and also and certain intersections where the median is split for left turns and there is no left side lane marking.
Ok thank you. That makes sense. If there was something wrong I wanted to take care of it while still under warranty.

Ok thank you. That makes sense. If there was something wrong I wanted to take care of it while still under warranty.
I've received that same warning perhaps 3 or 4 times and always at the same place where the speed limit is about to change upon entering a traffic circle. When it happens, the cruise control is cancelled. It has nothing to do with Lane Centering or Lane Keeping since I have both features turned OFF. Most of the time when I pass that same point, the warning does not come up and cruise control remains active. It isn't something I'm concerned about.

Peter

I've received that same warning perhaps 3 or 4 times and always at the same place where the speed limit is about to change upon entering a traffic circle. When it happens, the cruise control is cancelled. It has nothing to do with Lane Centering or Lane Keeping since I have both features turned OFF. Most of the time when I pass that same point, the warning does not come up and cruise control remains active. It isn't something I'm concerned about.

Peter
Mine says canceled when the green lane lines and green streering wheel disappear. Once green again, the canceled messaged goes away.

Mine says canceled when the green lane lines and green streering wheel disappear. Once green again, the canceled messaged goes away.
ok I'm back with the same canceled issue. It was happening places where the lines on the road were clear and not broken. The dealer said maybe the camera was dirty so I said ok maybe because I had been on some dirt roads. I ran the car through the car wash and on the way home it happened on a two lane road with clear lines. I only have 6000 miles left on the warranty. Has anyone else had this issue when the lines are clearly marked on the road?

As far as I know, Adaptive Cruise Control itself does not depend on lane markings or the camera. I believe it is 'radar' based and I think it uses the same module that controls the Forward Collision warning. I have had mine cancel a few times and it is always at the same location. Sometimes it cancels, most times it doesn't. The area is just where the speed drops as I'm approaching a traffic circle.
Your dealer obviously isn't familiar with the system.

Peter

I have the same issue on my '22 Explorer ST. The ding, and to a lesser extent, the message is an annoyance. The message "cancelled" stays on very briefly and the cruise doesn't seem affected. I'm going to try to pinpoint the location(s) where it happens to try to narrow down what's triggering it. Still plenty of warranty left on mine, so at this point it's just a nuisance, but if I learn anything I'll pass it on. Also, have to take it in for something else and will see if my service advisor has any ideas.

Not a big fan of adaptive cruise control anyway. My wife had an Escape and it was way too sensitive. It would slow you down on a rural interstate way too soon. It was driving her crazy, so I disable the Adaptive feature. Might end up doing that on my Explorer.

I have the same issue on my '22 Explorer ST. The ding, and to a lesser extent, the message is an annoyance. The message "cancelled" stays on very briefly and the cruise doesn't seem affected. I'm going to try to pinpoint the location(s) where it happens to try to narrow down what's triggering it. Still plenty of warranty left on mine, so at this point it's just a nuisance, but if I learn anything I'll pass it on. Also, have to take it in for something else and will see if my service advisor has any ideas.

Not a big fan of adaptive cruise control anyway. My wife had an Escape and it was way too sensitive. It would slow you down on a rural interstate way too soon. It was driving her crazy, so I disable the Adaptive feature. Might end up doing that on my Explorer.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I get that "ding" and cancellation notice usually in one specific spot and I've never figured out why. Not an issue for me. I use the feature along with the speed sign recognition practically every time I'm driving. Love it.
I believe that the ACC with speed sign recognition interfaces with the GPS as well. I have had the small speed sign on the dash change to highway speed while I'm still on the on-ramp and have yet to pass a higher posted speed road sign.

Peter

There are a few places where I can get the Cancel to occur consistently.
Agree with those above, that it's canceling the lane centering. The few places I get it consistently, it's where the lines aren't very defined or are repeatedly broken by side streets on a windy bit of road.

Back