Cannot access Torsion Adjuster Bolt!?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cannot access Torsion Adjuster Bolt!?!?

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
Could a Torsion Adjuster be bent?

I'd been noticing a few drips beneath the X recently, and yesterday evening while on the Highway i noticed something burning from below (was some sort of fluid on the cat), so today on my lunch break i put it up on ramps and went underneath to check for leaks - turns out to be loose tranny pan bolts. 1/2" socket and we're golden.

While under there with my 1/2" deep socket, i figure i'd give the old Torsion Twist a try (to lower it). Immediately i noticed that one side was already about 1/2" further out than the other, which corresponds to the measurements i had taken months earlier. Starting with that (driver) side, i let it out another 3/4" and move on to the pass side. However, i cannot access that bolt b/c it is angled inward towards the adjuster's protective coverplate. What could cause this? B/c i was on my lunch, i didn't get into the removal of the coverplate, but even if i did that, the serious inward angle of the bolt would keep me from reinstalling the plate afterwards.

Ideas?? I'll try to snap a pic later if that's of any assistance. After all is said & done, i found out that the adjusters are shot anyhow and need replacing.

I gotta say the previous owner got out just in time!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know this has been talked about before, but i could not find the link. some peoples bolts have been bent when they went under to do the twist. i bet you can order a new one from ford and you'll be just fine, raise a jack up un till it touches (not lifts) the exp. then remove the bolt and install your new one, your height wont change if it is resting on the jack. then you can lower your ex. i hope i helped, cb

cheesebrat said:
i know this has been talked about before, but i could not find the link

Searching can be tough...

Thanks for the reply - i'll have to look at it better, b/c it did not look bent. It just looked as if the whole thing was misaligned, which i don't think is possible without other problems coming from it. Once i get back under there i'll take the shield off and try to get the bolt out. I'll post back...thanks again

I forgot to stress that it was up on ramps - this shouldn't matter, though...

After more searching, i found a post about 15 pages into the search wit a similar problem but no answer. Is the bolt screwing into the adjuster or into something else? Could the adjuster have moved away from it's seat?

the bolt as i recall is in a stationary block type thing (ill try to get pics) then the torsions' adjuster flange sits on that bolt. it sounds almost as if your whole assembly shifted, which ive never heard of before. jack it up and try taking a look with the front tires in the air if you can.

I took some pics yesterday while it was on level ground, thinking it may have changed the way the bolt sits - it did not. I have yet to get it into the air to see if it changes things. I may just take that shield off to see if the whole thing shifted. Here's pics (blurry b/c close range)

Driver Side (OK):
25243DSCF00201.JPG

Passenger Side (not OK):
25243DSCF0025.JPG

I do have the notorious front-end clunk usually traced to the adjusters, and during my initial inspection i did see remnants of the kevlar (?) pad sticking out the side of the adjuster, so i know they're trash - i just don't have $60 to throw at parts right now (hmmm, what can i sell?...).

well im out of ideas, sorry i have not been more help. ill kep checking the post though.
sorry, colby

the drop plate might be missalinged. you need a 2 point puller to safely remove the tortion bar

The bolts don't move in relation to the height of the truck. If you do lift/lower it, make sure to get it aligned and install camber adjusters before you take it. Just a little bit of advice.

I've already got the camber kit on both sides so i should be ok there. I just hope that there's not a "stage 2" camber kit that i may need to get the alignment right once it's lowered. Also, i'm assuming that lowering the rear has NO effect on the front. Am i correct on this? I cannot see how it would, but you never know...i'm planning on 2" blocks in the rear, as long as i can get at least 1.5" in the front.

I'm going to wait until i can afford new torsion adjusters & an alignment and do it all at once. I'm assuming that if i were to lower it & align it now, and then replace the adjusters later, it would just screw up the alignment anyway, right?

i would assume so
yet we know what assuming does

Yeah, I know - but assuming on the side of caution is the way to do it if it's gonna be done at all ;)

If i assume incorrectly and it ultimately does not hurt the alignment, all that is lost is the time wasted WAITING to lower it :thumbsup:

Who would have thought having a wife, kids, mortgage & vehicle with no credit cards would be this taxing? :confused: I hate being poor :fire:

yup im poor too, but im 19 i dont have a wife, kids, a mortgage, or a vehicle payment. luckily my 2000 xlt only cost me 5,000 (after it was used for 100k miles by my dad/owned by his company and it was driven through coal piles and train yards even though all that did was get the tires dirty the company only wanted/took 5k)and i had just enough to buy it and work on it a little. while still paying for college.

and yes caution is good. thats why i have'nt done much to mine.

Back