Cant answer phone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cant answer phone

Randys1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
if i reach over and hit the accept button on the screen, yes, then i can answer it, but

if i hit the steering wheel button that has the phone icon on it
it hangs up as soon as i push that

what the heck

on another thread i am trying to find out how to default the screen to showing the radio when i start car and not the main menu

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I seems to me that I've tried a couple of times to answer the phone with the steering wheel switch and ended up hitting the 'Accept' touch screen button. I'll have to be a little more patient next time and try the steering wheel switch a little longer to see if it really is a problem. In my case it did not cause a hang up. I'm on V2.4

I seems to me that I've tried a couple of times to answer the phone with the steering wheel switch and ended up hitting the 'Accept' touch screen button. I'll have to be a little more patient next time and try the steering wheel switch a little longer to see if it really is a problem. In my case it did not cause a hang up.

there are two buttons there, one to initiate any and all voice activated functions and the other is the phone symbol, i assume to ANSWER we are to hit the phone symbol, if so that hangs up every time, didnt use to but does now

press the ok button on the steering wheel when the phone rings.

because the screen on the dash defaults at accepting the call.

pressing ok picks up every time for me.

if i reach over and hit the accept button on the screen, yes, then i can answer it, but

if i hit the steering wheel button that has the phone icon on it
it hangs up as soon as i push that

what the heck

on another thread i am trying to find out how to default the screen to showing the radio when i start car and not the main menu

the OK button, interesting, never knew that, was sure i had answered before pressing phone button...thanks

I don't get the point of the phone button. It will answer for me, but not hang up.

i also thought that the handset button would answer and hang up too but trying a couple of times and you (i) feel rushed to figure it out before losing a call, i gave up and used the ok button.

i tried hanging up with the handset button and doesnt seem to work sometimes... switching songs on the steering lags at times so i am guessing the handset button also lags at times when using it... which makes it distracting when driving... so i gave up and use the end call button of the mft dispplay.

which makes me wonder... why is the stupid button on the far right of the display and on the left near the driver side for convenience while driving... these give you they stupid audible warnings that you cant turn off before you do anything like plug a phone in but they put the end call button on the far right which i dont find as practical and more disctracting to take your eye further off to the right.

rant off :)

the OK button, interesting, never knew that, was sure i had answered before pressing phone button...thanks

Hi everyone!

Just to continue with donm527s thought, here are the written instructions for answering/ending a call:

To accept the call, press OK on the steering wheel.

To reject the call, press the down arrow button on the steering wheel.

To ignore the call, do nothing. SYNC will log it as a missed call.

If you've accepted the call, you can hang up when you're done by pressing on the steering wheel for several seconds.

Rebecca

i also thought that the handset button would answer and hang up too but trying a couple of times and you (i) feel rushed to figure it out before losing a call, i gave up and used the ok button.

i tried hanging up with the handset button and doesnt seem to work sometimes... rant off :)
I just went to the garage and called my cell using my home cordless. I was able to accept and end the call using the toggle phone switch (picture of handset and up/down arrows) on the steering wheel. There is a slight delay. Pressing the OK button on the steering wheel did not do anything. My manual says to answer a call you can use the ACCEPT button on the touch screen or the steering wheel phone switch. No mention of using the OK button. Running MFT V2.4

Well, i just had someone from my office call me, i pushed the OK button and whala, or whatever, it worked...it also worked to hang up...but the phone icon button does nothing

Hi everyone!

Just to continue with donm527s thought, here are the written instructions for answering/ending a call:

To accept the call, press OK on the steering wheel.

To reject the call, press on the steering wheel.

To ignore the call, do nothing. SYNC will log it as a missed call.

If you've accepted the call, you can hang up when you're done by pressing on the steering wheel for several seconds.

Rebecca

press on the steering wheel? do you mean to say press on the phone icon button that is on the steering wheel?

Never tried holding it down, just pressing and releasing.

im going to say to prevent accidentally hitting the button, it needs to be held down a few seconds, i think its 2-3 never actually timed it...

Well, i just had someone from my office call me, i pushed the OK button and whala, or whatever, it worked...it also worked to hang up...but the phone icon button does nothing
Perhaps a change was made with an updated version. Mine works just the opposite to what you stated. OK button does nothing.

so on the right display (to the right of the speedo)... when a call comes in you dont get a prompt to answer to ignore (actually not sure what the second option is)??

thats why the ok works because it defaults at answering the call and you just press ok to answer.
(yes i know the photo below is for text and not incoming call but its close)

right_display2b.jpg

to ignore the call you would have to push the down on the controller to hightlight ignoring the call then press ok.
if you dont see the options on the display when a call comes in... then i guess older versions didnt have it. i am running 2.8

B_HU_1015_HU_02.jpg

Perhaps a change was made with an updated version. Mine works just the opposite to what you stated. OK button does nothing.

i was thinking that the handset toggle switch does work to hang up but honestly it seems to take too long and with the lagginess of the system after a couple of seconds of pressing that dumb button, you are checking the 4" lcd to see any confirmation... then you look at the center display to see if it has hung up... at that point i just say f-it and press the end call button on the display to make sure. all that time being distracted from driving... what a silly system.

just like to get a 'ding' when you activate voice command, you should get a 'ding' of some sort to confirm that you have disconnected the call when you press the handset button.

hope someone from Ford reads that suggestion for 2.12.

and for goodness sakes, get rid of the repeating safety warnings. am i gonna hear it still 5 years after owning the car?! let me sign a release form to say i understand the warning after hearing it a hundred times and turn it off! lol.

im going to say to prevent accidentally hitting the button, it needs to be held down a few seconds, i think its 2-3 never actually timed it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was thinking that the handset toggle switch does work to hang up but honestly it seems to take too long and with the lagginess of the system after a couple of seconds of pressing that dumb button, you are checking the 4" lcd to see any confirmation... then you look at the center display to see if it has hung up... at that point i just say f-it and press the end call button on the display to make sure. all that time being distracted from driving... what a silly system.

just like to get a 'ding' when you activate voice command, you should get a 'ding' of some sort to confirm that you have disconnected the call when you press the handset button.
My mistake in posts above. The reason the OK button did not work was that I was trying this with the Ex parked and only had the accessory on which doesn't bring up the right hand display. Once I had that display active, I could use the OK button to accept the call. Actually I had never noticed the call display on that screen. Too much going on!
On mine when I end the call using the 'phone/handset' button on the wheel, I get a Call Ended display on the MFT screen as well as a system voice confirmation which says "Call Ended".
Sorry for the earlier mix-up. Growing pains. ;)

Back