Can't decide which suspension to use | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't decide which suspension to use

I just got myself a D30 HP from a '97 cherokee which had coils and can't decide what type of spring I should use. I would like something that won't take a month of nothing but fab., something fairly simply (less to go wrong).
I am not a person to go rock crawling or into the deep mud. I am more of a modest wheeler.The rig will see some road driving (not DD anymore), it will be used on hard pack, sand, some mud and alot of cruising around the trails just exploring.. nothing to serious. The amount of flex is not a big concern to me. Leaves would be easy but I can also see how coils could be easy. I am not rich so that eliminates coilovers.

I have spent a fair amount of time looking at other builds and cannot decide which route to take.

After reading the types of terrains you plan to encounter, I think going with 33" mud-terrains and a locker might be the best option instead of doing an SAS (simplicity, cost, time, labor, etc..).

I have the rear locker and some nice toyo at tires. My torsion bars suck! If I went ahead and upgraded the torsion bars I would continue to deal with the ball joint problems and hub problems. I have replaced the balljoints and hubs all at the same time and had an alignment done only to encounter the same issues in just under a year. I have had nothing but trouble with the front suspension and would like to have more lift to take on some more challenging terrain.

Back