Cant figure out what this module is | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cant figure out what this module is

makaveli200369

Reaction score
City, State
Oxnard, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 1993 explorer with this module behind the dash with a bunch of blade connectors. You see words like dome light and some other little words that are hard to read. I checked my 1994 and it doesnt have it. Its OEM I can see the factory mounting points. I looked up body control, GEM, BCM, keyless module but nothing shows up that looks like it. Thanks to anyone that knows!

075BFACB-D6B7-4CE8-9F13-E3648D66265C.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a ford part? Could be left over from either an old aftermarket alarm/keyless entry system, or possibly from a "breathalyzer" installation?

Doesn’t look factory with those spade connectors.

I have one very similar branded "champan" it's the security & keyless entry. Tucked away under drivers side dash.

I have one very similar branded "champan" it's the security & keyless entry. Tucked away under drivers side dash.
Do you have a pic of yours. This is going to be fun to get rid of. My signals and hazards dont work as well as other issues im sure its related to it.

Do you have a pic of yours. This is going to be fun to get rid of. My signals and hazards dont work as well as other issues im sure its related to it.
Get into the ignition switch main wiring, that's where a lot of bad wiring happens with remote starters etc. They have to cut into the main wires there, and if they do a poor job if it, very bad things can happen. Remove the covering just below the column, hopefully you don't find any bad splices or crimped butt connectors.

Get into the ignition switch main wiring, that's where a lot of bad wiring happens with remote starters etc. They have to cut into the main wires there, and if they do a poor job if it, very bad things can happen. Remove the covering just below the column, hopefully you don't find any bad splices or crimped butt connectors.
Lol it was a rats nest inside there. So far I pulled all this out im surprised the truck never burned down it was all jerry rigged.

F71412EC-54FC-49DC-B222-81E5AA7655F6.png

34FB39FD-75E9-4C21-968F-986AC4BA4D72.jpeg

Lol it was a rats nest inside there. So far I pulled all this out im surprised the truck never burned down it was all jerry rigged.
View attachment 327907

View attachment 327908

While these will likely no longer assist you.... here ya go.
Don't look at my zip ties.
you were right mine was like that. I yanked it out and it was a wireless door lock system and immobilizer. Turn signal and hazard lights are working again.

In case anyone is wondering when you look from the bottom of the inside fuse box it appears that flasher pot is the one facing you. There is actually one on the otherside that is hard to get to that is the one that actually controls it. I had to unbolt the fuse box.
9EF1BA19-2648-464A-9B14-53A15B1BAFAC.jpeg

Well done to get that mess of wires out of there. It's scary to think of what people do with main wiring inside the dash. I'm glad you found the problem with your truck, those main ignition wires should be treated like gold. They shouldn't ever be cut, and any splicing to them should be done very carefully.

Most vehicles now have a "T" harness available, which plugs inline with the ignition switch wires. Those hopefully are all well made, but they are a much better way to add an alarm or remote starter etc.

Audio Express was known for wiring jobs like that:banghead:

"Home of the $1 install".... LOL

Audio Express was known for wiring jobs like that:banghead:

"Home of the $1 install".... LOL
You mean "Home of the $1 Dash Fire"

Back