Can't find correct fuel pressure regulator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't find correct fuel pressure regulator

freak

Reaction score
City, State
Pemberville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Explorer XLS
I have a 1998 Ranger 3.0 OHV. My fuel pressure regulator doesn't appear to work correctly. I removed it and it's wide open with vacuum or not. I looked at all the auto parts stores and they all show something totally different than what I have. The one that has a totally white background is from advance auto. The one that looks like it's lying on a desk is the original. Anyone run into this before?

Attachments

• fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 744
  • fuel2.jpg
    fuel2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 221

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

People have reported on here that the similar design for the SOHC were no longer available anywhere. As a result, I've picked up a couple used ones in the local U Pull as spares if mine should go south on me.

Just learned something very important over at ranger-forums. That part isn't a fuel regulator but a damper. The vacuum port does nothing other than to be a safety in case the diaphragm leaks. Then the vacuum takes the leaking fuel into the motor vs on the outside of the motor. This part exists to smooth out the fuel pressure from the pump and injectors firing. As long as fuel isn't leaking to the vacuum port it is likely ok. It is nevertheless apparently not made by anyone anymore. Due to the fact that mine isn't leaking internally I am going to assume it is ok and my problem of quick fuel pressure leak-down with motor off is more likely at the pump.

I browsed some old threads and cannot find a Ford part number for the OHV regulator. I did find a thread dated Mar '18 where someone mentioned it was still available. If you don't know the part number, maybe you can find it on your existing one? I know it's embedded on the side of mine. If you strike out, contact me. The U Pull is only 15 mins away and they always have a supply of Rangers/Explorers I could search.

Yes, if you do not have a return fuel line (2nd line) to the tank then it's just a damper and your pressure regulator is on the sending unit in the tank.. and I'm guessing it can't be purchased separately, will come on a new sending unit, and if your pump is the original then it is probably wise to replace that while you're at it.

F87E-9F775-BB seems to be the original part #, superseded by F87Z-9F775-BA with aftermarket support from Standard Parts FPD22, Wells FD208, Airtex 3G1007. Nobody seems to have stock of any of these, so there are some that in desperation just plugged the hole, either using a metal plate and gasket in place of where it mounted, or prying or cutting it open at the flange, discarding the end with the vac line, and plugging what remains with either a disc cut to shape and epoxied in, or just filling the whole thing with epoxy.

In other words it appears to not be entirely necessary to have your fuel rail dampened, but I don't own a 3.0L Ranger so take internet hearsay with a grain of salt.

Yes, if you do not have a return fuel rail to the tank then it's just a damper and your pressure regulator is on the sending unit in the tank.. and I'm guessing it can't be purchased separately, will come on a new sending unit, and if your pump is the original then it is probably wise to replace that while you're at it.

F87E-9F775-BB seems to be the original part #, superseded by F87Z-9F775-BA with aftermarket support from Standard Parts FPD22, Wells FD208, Airtex 3G1007. Nobody seems to have stock of any of these, so there are some that in desperation just plugged the hole, either using a metal plate and gasket in place of where it mounted, or prying or cutting it open at the flange, discarding the end with the vac line, and plugging what remains with either a disc cut to shape and epoxied in, or just filling the whole thing with epoxy.

In other words it appears to not be entirely necessary to have your fuel rail dampened, but I don't own a 3.0L Ranger so take internet hearsay with a grain of salt.

I appreciate your confirmation of this!

I went through this…. First, make sure you have a fuel pressure gauge, because just watching fuel squirt out of the shraeder valve on the fuel rail is not an accurate way to monitor fuel pressure.

Then, if you are still getting quick bleed down of fuel pressure, problem could be the cheap check valve inside the fuel pump. I had this issue with a brand new fuel pump, and it was quite puzzling. To diagnose this issue, you might need to remove the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump. I have created a fuel pump access panel, so removing the fuel pump was easier. With the fuel pump removed, I could blow back into the fuel pump outlet without restriction, and confirm that this check valve was not working. The 10 cent rubber check valve might be known as the “fuel pressure regulator”.

For the fuel rail unit known as the fuel pressure regulator/dampener, I do not think you will be able to locate a new replacement. Salvage parts would probably be the best option. If not, I found a Volvo regulator/dampener that worked as a substitute on the 4.0 SOHC. I do not recall the part number, but you can find it on this Forum and/or discussion on the Internet. Then had to take the new replacement unit and the old lines to a hydraulic fabricator and get a custom replacement line created. It worked, but this was a lot of running around.

Good luck!

I went through this…. First, make sure you have a fuel pressure gauge, because just watching fuel squirt out of the shraeder valve on the fuel rail is not an accurate way to monitor fuel pressure.

Then, if you are still getting quick bleed down of fuel pressure, problem could be the cheap check valve inside the fuel pump. I had this issue with a brand new fuel pump, and it was quite puzzling. To diagnose this issue, you might need to remove the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump. I have created a fuel pump access panel, so removing the fuel pump was easier. With the fuel pump removed, I could blow back into the fuel pump outlet without restriction, and confirm that this check valve was not working. The 10 cent rubber check valve might be known as the “fuel pressure regulator”.

For the fuel rail unit known as the fuel pressure regulator/dampener, I do not think you will be able to locate a new replacement. Salvage parts would probably be the best option. If not, I found a Volvo regulator/dampener that worked as a substitute on the 4.0 SOHC. I do not recall the part number, but you can find it on this Forum and/or discussion on the Internet. Then had to take the new replacement unit and the old lines to a hydraulic fabricator and get a custom replacement line created. It worked, but this was a lot of running around.

Good luck!
Thank you so much

Back