• Register Today It's free!

Can't find the AMP on the MTX ???

Pipelayer

Reaction score
City, State
Gary, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport Coupe 4WD, SUV
Today I just received the MTX Thunderform enclosure. It's suppose to be loaded with the built-in 225W RMS amp but all I see is 2 speaker leads, no other connectors anywhere. I ordered the unit from Amazon.com. Is there someone here who has this unit? Am I overlooking something? Or did Amazon make a mistake.

For more info on my amp, here is the exact one I ordered from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-FEX10AT...06?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1185239582&sr=1-1

Under Product Features you will see where it says:
"Loaded with one amplified 225 watt RMS Thunder 4500 10 inch subwoofer"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MTX makes the same unit w/o an amp; it just has the sub.

What is the model number listed on the box?

From what I can tell by looking at Crutchfield's site that is just the sub & enclosure. No amp included.

MTX makes the same unit w/o an amp; it just has the sub.
Exactly, I believe Amazon sent me the one without the amp.

I was wondering how you got such a good price.

I would contact Amazon, AND that seller, to complain about the misleading info.

If you look at the installation instructions from Crutchfield, you can see the panel that should be in place of the speaker wire inputs.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/236/236FEX1AT4.PDF

What is the model number listed on the box?

From what I can tell by looking at Crutchfield's site that is just the sub & enclosure. No amp included.

Thanks for asking the right question Dan, I think I see the problem. Both the Amazon Ad and my receipt has model # FEX10AT45

The Box they mailed me has model # FEX10-T45, it stands to reason that the missing "A" that's not on the box stands for "Amplified".

I was wondering how you got such a good price.

I would contact Amazon, AND that seller, to complain about the misleading info.

If you look at the installation instructions from Crutchfield, you can see the panel that should be in place of the speaker wire inputs.

No friend, I don't believe there was a mistake, the ad that I ordered from clearly states, "Loaded with one amplified 225 watt RMS Thunder 4500 10 inch subwoofer."

MTX website...

FEX10-T4 no amp
FEX10A-T4 built in amp

Amazon has offered me a refund since they are out of stock on the MTX. That being the case and I keep hearing from really knowledgeable guys in my area that "you can do much better than MTX". I decided to go with something else. I found a used Explorer OEM sub enclosure on ebay for 35 bucks. I would like to get a hi quality sub for it and a clean amp. Something to go with the Boston SL80s and the Cadence Daytona DCA-4100 amp.
http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=96
I found one for under $300.

I'm open for suggestions.

Not sure what size woofer the oem subwoofer enclosure will take, here is the link, maybe someone here knows
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=300123557181&rd=1&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

I also have another question, the same fellas that suggested I go with something other than MTX also keep suggesting that I do some modifications and replace door speaker backets with 6.5 ones and go with 6.5 full range speaker for best results. Has anyone here ever heard of anything like that?

Thank you

sub size is 8".

Just so you know, good luck getting it to sound good. I threw a RF 8 in mine, and it sucked. Stock sounded better. Even ran a new amp, etc....still nothing. The box just really isn't good for creating the best sound.

sub size is 8".

Just so you know, good luck getting it to sound good. I threw a RF 8 in mine, and it sucked. Stock sounded better. Even ran a new amp, etc....still nothing. The box just really isn't good for creating the best sound.
Do you think it can be modified to hold a 10" ?

thought about it..........don't think so, not without A LOT of modifications!

Its plastic, and really just doesn't give off the sound that it should.

8"? I thought is was 6.5?

If it is 8 that crap sounded like crap! Been in a few 2nd gens with the JBL system & they sucked!.

Mine was an 8 in my 99 Limited.....if the box was from a 98 I am pretty sure they were the same (looks exactly like the box I just ripped out of my truck).

hmmmmm, guess I could sell that bad boy. Hope I didn't trash it (or the stock amp!)

Build your own:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86333

I used the above thread and built mine:

subandamp_004_Medium_.jpg

subandamp_001_Medium_.jpg

Back