Cant Find trailer plug | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cant Find trailer plug

so from what i have been reading, explorers have trailer plug whether you have a tow package or not and that wire is suppose to be tucked under the bumper. unfortunately, i cannot find mine anywhere. i have slid under the explorer and searched the entire bumper for it and well its not there.

was wondering if anyone could point me in some kind of direction? maybe im just not looking in the right spot or something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just ran outside quickly, didnt spend much time but no connection on pass side on my 97 without tow paackage, any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wouldnt you want to hook it to the passenger side, as per the diagram posted at the top?

I bought a connector yesterday, oem ford part to connect a trailer. On the diagram it came with it said to plug into drivers side, which i did. The only thing coming out of the drivers side was the lights for the licence plate, so i disconnected those and ran it anyways. I have no running lights, left signal does nothing, right signal = hazards and brake lights work. I will try looking for a connection on the passenger side as per the diagram, hopefully I dont need new relays and connectors.

You found the correct location on the drivers side. Use a multi meter or test light to check all of the pins feeding the wiring harness for the license plate light. If the yellow, green and brown wires are dead, you are most probably missing a couple of fuses and a couple of relays. This was the case with mine. Look in your owners manual for the location of these fuses and relays.

There is a very large 30A fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment that wwas missing on my Explorer. Also missing were the two realys in the relay box that is attached to the inner fender tucked behind the battery. I seem to recall that there was also a 15A fuse in the fuse panel inside the vehicle that might also ahve been missing.

I removed the rear bumper from my 95 2Dr to paint it to match my new front winch bumper (RLC Welding). Here is a picture of the wiring behind it:
picture.php

need help with 01 sport trac

hey guys I have a buddy with an 01 sport trac he did not get the one with the trailer plug already but like most fords I am sure that there is a plug there for a factory add on harness. anyhow long story short anyone know where the plug is located on the sport trac and what harness I need to get to plug into it to give him his 4 way flat pin connector?

i have a 97 xlt 4.0 sohc and my connector is tucked under bumper like right under license plate. It is a light blue round connector with a cap on it.

Just a note, on the 2000 explorers, the passenger side plug is for the back-up sensors.

Back