• Register Today It's free!

Can't get caliper bolt out

ExplorerDan246

Reaction score
City, State
Laurel, Md.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hello everyone I have a 2003 Explorer that I have owned since it was new. Recently I took a stab at replacing the front drivers side hub bearing assembly. The most that I personally have done before with this vehicle was changing pads and rotors. Things didn't go so well. I got down to the bearing but could not remove the screws on the backside eventually I stopped because my socket had slipped off of the bolt twice and I was worried about rounding the head of the bolt. Putting the caliper back on one of the caliper bolts just spins inside of the caliper pin. I now can't get that bolt back out. Any tips on getting the spinning caliper bolt out and also removing the bolts from the front bearing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The three bolts on the back side of the front bearing?
Did you push the axle in through the hub a little? You need to to get proper access. From there, you need a wobble socket.

Here's an 'ideal' replacement.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402670

As for the caliper bolt, if this is the one you are referring to, sounds like it may have crossed threads? The longer piece will just spin, I believe. I don't recall how it sets in place, can you not just pull the whole thing out?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 172

The three bolts on the back side of the front bearing?
Did you push the axle in through the hub a little? You need to to get proper access. From there, you need a wobble socket.

Here's an 'ideal' replacement.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402670

As for the caliper bolt, if this is the one you are referring to, sounds like it may have crossed threads? The longer piece will just spin, I believe. I don't recall how it sets in place, can you not just pull the whole thing out?

I tried to push the axle in with the,(I'm not sure what it's called), but you attach it to the lugs and turn the bolt in the middle. It did not seem to move. It was sitting for several years until last November possibly extra rust? I saw a video saying that you can leave the axle nut on at the top of the spindle and tap it with a hammer to move it but I also saw something else saying that you shouldn't do that so I was a little uneasy about that. Come to think of it I'm not really sure if the caliper bolt is spinning or the pin that it screws into is spinning. Thanks for your help

the above picture are the front caliper slide pins. IIRC they spin, as they let the caliper float in and out as you hit the brakes. do you have a picture? and as Numbers said, taking out the CV axle is key to replacing the hub.

The picture is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm thinking that one is different from the other maybe I put them each in the wrong hole. I had alot going on that day I might not have been paying attention as much as I should have. Do you know by chance if the picture accurately represents the proper location of the pins on the front drivers side? Thanks

The pins are two different designs, but I've never paid attention as to what side I've placed them in.

The flats on the pin register against the caliper and keeps it from spinning. You need to look closely at that.

Back