Can't get coolant filled all the way? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't get coolant filled all the way?

beach

Reaction score
City, State
south florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
Coyote F150
So this is weird, on my other vehicles, draining removes damn near all the coolant. But on this truck I just went to do a flush, and it only took two jugs (7.46 L) of distilled water and about 1L of Peak super cleaner and flush before overflowing. Burped the system and letting engine run to suck down initially worked then stopped at this amount. Flushed out heater core and it's clean now, left heat on max and blowing hot.

Do these trucks store a ridiculous amount of coolant/water when flushing? Half the capacity seems odd?

Sorry for two threads posted same time, did the as their different problems.

most V8's keep about 1 gallon of coolant in the engine block. there is no way to get it out as there are no longer block drain plugs.

after flushing and rinsing well with distilled water, put in a gallon of 100% antifreeze and let it mix in the engine. If more coolant is needed, fill with 50/50 mix.

most V8's keep about 1 gallon of coolant in the engine block. there is no way to get it out as there are no longer block drain plugs.

after flushing and rinsing well with distilled water, put in a gallon of 100% antifreeze and let it mix in the engine. If more coolant is needed, fill with 50/50 mix.
hmmm, mine seems more than that. 15.7L capacity on the 5.0s. I only out in about 8.46L total including distilled water and some peak flush. The leaves about 7.24L or about 2 gallons was still retained in the engine block. Seems high?

Yeah I only use 100% antifreeze and have a bunch of jugs of distilled water. Was going to use 2 of the antifreeze and 2 of the distilled give or take as that's juts over capacity, not sure now with whatever is left in the engine. I thought I had read long ago that these trucks held quite a bit left over.

The other thing, I left it cycling with heat on full blast (whooo that's fun getting in the truck in South FL summer lol). But the temp didn't go much above cold, maybe about a 1/4 if that. Now I've seen some say that's normal and no big deal since the t-stat isn't in, and some say it should still read in the middle. I've had cars/trucks do both with no t-stat when flushing and never though about it much till now. Edit - Actually now that I think about it, they all only swung maybe a 1/4 if that, guess that makes sense since with no t-stat it'll act as if stuck in open loop so temps will be cooler, makes sense.

Blew Heater Core clear w/ compressed air & Block down w/ compressed air & let trickle overnite - Damned if I can get it to take more than 2 gallons - SO best I can tell Block & Heater Core capacity is about 2 Gallons of water after a flush - SO u wd add 2 Gallons of straight Anti freeze IF u blew Htr Core definitely clear & tried to blow & drain Block clear.

Back