• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Cant get in to program mode for the key fob

Robert083

Reaction score
City, State
Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limeted v8
Hello guys,

First my excuses for my poor englisch, i am from the netherlands/ Amsterdam

My name is Robert and im drivin a 2004 explorer . Love the car. From now on only american cars for me .

I have one problem at this moment. I cant get in to the programming mode for the key fob. I tried everything . Turned the key aight times as discrived in the manual. Disconneccted the negaitive of my battery. But nothing happens. Do i mis something??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

odinjunior

Reaction score
City, State
Surprise AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Subaru Outback
I recently programmed a New key fob for my 2002 and that procedure did work for me.. It did take several attempts to get it done..

Robert083

Reaction score
City, State
Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limeted v8
Yes, im doing it with the door open. Open the drivers door . Pussed the unlock button ( but nothing happens). And at last turn the key aight times between off and on , the last time remaining in the on position .

odinjunior

Reaction score
City, State
Surprise AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Subaru Outback
Did you hear the Chime? 8 may not be your number.

Drewmcg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT 4WD
2002 XLS 2WD
OEM fob or something you bought on e-bay? I've gotten a bad one that I could not program off of e-bay (and also a good one there). But if you don't get the chimes, then you probably just need to alter the speed (faster?) of turning on and off, and stop on the eighth turn. I had to try several times to get it.

Robert083

Reaction score
City, State
Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limeted v8
If tried different times, on different speed from four till ten times. No chime for me . It does nothing .. watched you tube video's over and over . I have original ford remotes. I checked the numbers. Disconnected the battery

96firephoenix

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
On my 2002, I had to do it with the door shut. I didn't have to do anything with the battery.

After 10 times turning the ignition on and then back off, it cycled the door locks.

Seems like there's a few different procedures out there for the remote program mode.

lincolnshibuya

Reaction score
City, State
kc mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mercury mountaineer
make sure your door ajar switches are working well (all doors are locked)
I have issues programming a keyfob to my navigator when the door ajar switches aren't working, once I fixed those programming is the same as others (8x)

Robert083

Reaction score
City, State
Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limeted v8
Many thanks for your reply's,

I'm going to check my door ajar switches. Sometimes when mine doors are closed i recieve a notification ' door ajar ' . Im going to post a reply on this topic after i fixed this.

Robert083

Reaction score
City, State
Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limeted v8
Checked the ajar switches, they seem too be working probably. Even tried it again for several times with door open/ closed . Isn't there a module i have to check?

Robert083

Reaction score
City, State
Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limeted v8
I'm not sure what you mean by acc, but i'm moving the key from off (1) till on (3) . Just like it is descrived in the manual.

Robert083

Reaction score
City, State
Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limeted v8
I'm not sure what you mean by acc, but i'm moving the key from off (1) till on (3) . Just like it is descrived in the manual. 1 is all the way back :). I hope there is something i can check so i know if my vehicle is equiped with remote door locks

swshawaii

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
I hope there is something i can check so i know if my vehicle is equiped with remote door locks
Missed that, thought you were already using a remote and trying to program SPARE fobs. Try the FordEtis link below, should have keyless entry details in minor features. My XLS says "Less Keyless Entry System". Would think a Limited would include keyless entry. Select vehicle, enter VIN, click minor features.

https://www.etis.ford.com/

Owners manual:
5. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming mode has been activated.

TechGuru

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX

Robert083

Reaction score
City, State
Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limeted v8
I read this over and over ... the manual for 2003 and the one for 2004 ... I tried everything...Does anybody knows where the remote module is placed. Im having the feeling that its something mechanic.

TechGuru

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
I believe it's part of the PCM. Rear Passenger side panel.

Even if someone had cut the antenna off or something you'd still be able to get into the programming mode...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Robert083

Reaction score
City, State
Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limeted v8
Missed that, thought you were already using a remote and trying to program SPARE fobs. Try the FordEtis link below, should have keyless entry details in minor features. My XLS says "Less Keyless Entry System". Would think a Limited would include keyless entry. Select vehicle, enter VIN, click minor features.

https://www.etis.ford.com/

Owners manual:

The website you refering to does not recognize my VIN number