Cant get in to program mode for the key fob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cant get in to program mode for the key fob

Robert083

Reaction score
City, State
Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limeted v8
Hello guys,

First my excuses for my poor englisch, i am from the netherlands/ Amsterdam

My name is Robert and im drivin a 2004 explorer . Love the car. From now on only american cars for me .

I have one problem at this moment. I cant get in to the programming mode for the key fob. I tried everything . Turned the key aight times as discrived in the manual. Disconneccted the negaitive of my battery. But nothing happens. Do i mis something??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently programmed a New key fob for my 2002 and that procedure did work for me.. It did take several attempts to get it done..

Yes, im doing it with the door open. Open the drivers door . Pussed the unlock button ( but nothing happens). And at last turn the key aight times between off and on , the last time remaining in the on position .

Did you hear the Chime? 8 may not be your number.

OEM fob or something you bought on e-bay? I've gotten a bad one that I could not program off of e-bay (and also a good one there). But if you don't get the chimes, then you probably just need to alter the speed (faster?) of turning on and off, and stop on the eighth turn. I had to try several times to get it.

If tried different times, on different speed from four till ten times. No chime for me . It does nothing .. watched you tube video's over and over . I have original ford remotes. I checked the numbers. Disconnected the battery

On my 2002, I had to do it with the door shut. I didn't have to do anything with the battery.

After 10 times turning the ignition on and then back off, it cycled the door locks.

Seems like there's a few different procedures out there for the remote program mode.

make sure your door ajar switches are working well (all doors are locked)
I have issues programming a keyfob to my navigator when the door ajar switches aren't working, once I fixed those programming is the same as others (8x)

Many thanks for your reply's,

I'm going to check my door ajar switches. Sometimes when mine doors are closed i recieve a notification ' door ajar ' . Im going to post a reply on this topic after i fixed this.

Checked the ajar switches, they seem too be working probably. Even tried it again for several times with door open/ closed . Isn't there a module i have to check?

I'm not sure what you mean by acc, but i'm moving the key from off (1) till on (3) . Just like it is descrived in the manual.

I'm not sure what you mean by acc, but i'm moving the key from off (1) till on (3) . Just like it is descrived in the manual. 1 is all the way back :). I hope there is something i can check so i know if my vehicle is equiped with remote door locks

I hope there is something i can check so i know if my vehicle is equiped with remote door locks
Missed that, thought you were already using a remote and trying to program SPARE fobs. Try the FordEtis link below, should have keyless entry details in minor features. My XLS says "Less Keyless Entry System". Would think a Limited would include keyless entry. Select vehicle, enter VIN, click minor features.

https://www.etis.ford.com/

Owners manual:
5. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming mode has been activated.

I read this over and over ... the manual for 2003 and the one for 2004 ... I tried everything...Does anybody knows where the remote module is placed. Im having the feeling that its something mechanic.

I believe it's part of the PCM. Rear Passenger side panel.

Even if someone had cut the antenna off or something you'd still be able to get into the programming mode...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Missed that, thought you were already using a remote and trying to program SPARE fobs. Try the FordEtis link below, should have keyless entry details in minor features. My XLS says "Less Keyless Entry System". Would think a Limited would include keyless entry. Select vehicle, enter VIN, click minor features.

https://www.etis.ford.com/

Owners manual:

The website you refering to does not recognize my VIN number

Back