Can't get into Programming mode for remote? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't get into Programming mode for remote?

Djanvk

Reaction score
City, State
Freeport, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Trying to program the remote that came with the 04 Explorer and cannot get the vehicle into programming mode, any help tips tricks? I do have keyless entry buttons but would like to get the remote to work.

Thanks, I have been reading other posts but nothing seems to be the trick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine i had to turn the key 8 times to the last spot before it starts the car. on the 8th time leave it in that spot. i believe the doors lock and unlock to tell you your in program mode. on mine i think if you try it to many time you have to disconnect a neg battery cable and let it set for like 5mins to reset. than start it over

1. Close all doors and then open drivers door and press the UNLOCK
button on drivers door panel while door is open and insert key in ignition.
2. Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the
8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming
mode.
3. Within 20 seconds press any button on first keyless remote.
Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.
4. Within 20 seconds, press any button on second keyless remote.
Door locks will cycle again to confirm programming.
5. Turn ignition to OFF.
Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

From the 2004 FORD service manual:

Remote Transmitter Programming
NOTE: All remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitters must be programmed at the same time.

NOTE: Programming (or reprogramming) of the RKE transmitters can be accomplished using a diagnostic tool or by carrying out the following steps:

The vehicle must be electronically unlocked before entering program mode using the RKE transmitter, RKE keypad (if equipped) or door lock control switch while the driver door is open.
Turn the key from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the eighth turn ending in RUN. If the module has successfully entered program mode, it locks and then unlocks all doors.
Within 20 seconds, press any button on an RKE transmitter, and the doors lock and then unlock to confirm that each RKE transmitter is programmed. Repeat this step for each RKE transmitter.
If the door locks do not respond for any RKE transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again. If the door locks still fail to respond, refer to Inspection and Verification in this section. (Make sure that no more than the maximum number of RKE transmitters are attempted to be programmed.)
Exiting the programming mode is accomplished if one of the following occurs:
The key transitions to the OFF position.
20 seconds have passed since entering programming mode or since the last RKE transmitter was programmed.
The maximum number of RKE transmitters have been programmed.

ExplorerIgnpositions.gif

I believe the BOLD section is where the difficulty lies.

programming falied

Hello !

I've just bought two remote controllers for my 2005 Explorer ltd, but wasn't able to program them...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046ID5EK/ref=oh_o01_s00_i01_details

When the car enters on programming mode, setting up the original remote works, but the new ones just don't do anything.

Is there any other workaround to be tried ?

thks in advance

Disconnecting the battery worked for me to get it to go in programming mode. Thanks for the info

Just had battery replaced. Now remotes don't work, door key pad does not work nor can I unlock the door with the keys. any suggestions

oh yes, tried the turn the key 5 times, nothing
I have 1996 ford exp 4.0 2 wd auto

Just had battery replaced. Now remotes don't work, door key pad does not work nor can I unlock the door with the keys. any suggestions

oh yes, tried the turn the key 5 times, nothing
I have 1996 ford exp 4.0 2 wd auto

Danny, this is the 3rd Gen Sub Forum - 2002 to 2005. You'll have better luck posting in the 2nd Gen Sub Forum - 1995 - 2001. Click here to go there now.

Good luck! :biggthump

try with drivers door open

I just ordered a remote from amazon for 7 bucks last week. I went with the directions which said doors closed, and my 02' would not go into programming mode. Tried it with the drivers door open and all other instructions as printed and it worked!

the part i dont get is if you start with the key in the off position and turn it 8 times after the 8th time it will remain in the off position??????

Back