• Register Today It's free!

Can't get out of seatbelt!!!!

Stinger357

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Eddie
I went to a local restaurant to eat and when I got there I parked and my seatbelt would not unlatch...I pressed in I pulled etc...the button was depressed all the way I wiggled it for 1 hour. So Finally I had to call 911 since I could not get out of my truck. They came and cut my seatbelt off me. What would cause this to happen? The truck was off so no safety mech was engaged. This is the strangest thing to ever happen to me. The EMS guys said this was a very unusual situation. They told me that if I HAD to get out of the car (accident etc) I would not have been able to. I am going to take my truck to a mechanic and see if they can figure out why the seatbelt would not unlatch? Has this ever happened to anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing something in the buckle is broken. Never happened to me though. Glad you didn't have to fnd this out in a life-or-death situation

It's only happened to me when someone dropped a penny into it by mistake. Then the button could not be depressed far enough to unlatch it.

How bizarre, might be worth carrying a pocket knife in the centre console?

That is crazy, I bet you were embarrassed when you finally walked in the restaurant? or no? No weird looks?

Truly bizarre.
Glad you're ok. :thumbsup:

Yeah you should keep a safety tool in your glove box or in the center console. Try to find one with a safety belt cutter and window shatterer. Worth it in case that ever happens again, especially in life or death.

Here is the first one that came to mind. But you can probably shop around for a better tool or better price.

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&cat=&style=FE334

The buckle is probably filled with change, i see this all the time at the dealership.

I've had to replace the latch in my second gen because it wouldn't stay latched. Others have had the same, non-latching, issue.

How bizarre, might be worth carrying a pocket knife in the centre console?

Bingo. Never know when you'll need one. That's in addition to the one carried on your person.

That is crazy, I bet you were embarrassed when you finally walked in the restaurant? or no? No weird looks?

Truly bizarre.
Glad you're ok. :thumbsup:

Funny you say that....The manager came out with a knife from the kitchen to try and pry or cut it off me, to no avail!!! I got a free lunch out of it though, I guess they felt sorry for me...lol

Free lunch is worth it. Well maybe not... But at least you got a free meal out of your dismay.

Yeah carry a big one, so when your wife/girlfriend says 'is that a knife in you're pocket or are you just happy to see me?' she really doesn't know the answer....Get ready to spend the night out in the dog's kennel if you answer knife tho'.

It's amazing how tiny coins can find their way into that slot when you think about just how perfect the fall of the coin needs to be... :D

knife from the kitchen

Needs to be a partially serrated knife. You can get cheap pocket knives with serrated portions almost anywhere. Those seat belt cutting tools also work well.

Passenger side of my Ex does the same thing. I found that pushing in on the seatbelt like you are buckleing it while pushing the button gets it free. Was a bit of a pain till I. Figurered out the trick though. And it's a bit awakward on first dates. Lol.

Passenger side of my Ex does the same thing. I found that pushing in on the seatbelt like you are buckleing it while pushing the button gets it free. Was a bit of a pain till I. Figurered out the trick though. And it's a bit awakward on first dates. Lol.

Ya I tried that for like 30 minutes to no avail. I pushed and pulled and even tried to pry and cut but that sucker would not come off!!!! I was pinned in my own vehicle.!!!!

Back