Can't get steering rack out... Help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't get steering rack out... Help!!

blulite

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton-on-Tees
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 & 1999 4.0 sohc v6
so I'm swapping out a string rack from my 97 to my 98 due to a leak and the 97 being used for offroad only so it's not really an issue if it's a bit leaky.

However, I can't get the rack out. my main issues are

can't get the screws undone on the pipes and I can't get the bushings out to get a good enough twist.

The videos on YouTube are pretty useless as they don't exactly explain a great deal. and they make it look pretty easy considering they've been edited to cut out the horrors of the job.

can someone please help?

done...

what a nightmare that was, when I remove my rack from my 98 I plan to document it with a decent write up or video showing a relitively decent way to remove it.

It's took me 7 hours just to get it out. absolutely rediculas amount of time. but now I know what order to do things, I should be able to considerably reduce that time.

It's a pain in the butt. when I did mine once I got the rack out I had to find a hydraulic press to get the sleeves out of the bushings because the rebuilt rack did not come with sleeves and I could not get them on a weekend 8 hours

Back