Cant get tranny in park from shifter! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cant get tranny in park from shifter!

Fastcat

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
My shifter was broken so I replaced it and made sure all bolts were tighten. I put the tranny manually in park by getting under the car and sliding the leveler thing into park. Then I put the shifter in park and snapped the shifter cable on the end of the shifter. then I will start the car and I put it in any other gear and it would go in every gear but when I try to go back to park its staying in reverse. How do I fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats not my problem.... There are no loose or broken bolts I replaced everything already and there is no play in the shifter... It seems like the cable maybe streched

Also if it helps any.... I can popped the shifter cable aloose from the shifter and hit all gears including park by pulling/pushing on the end of the cable.

there is an adjustment gear located at the rear of the column

Where is it exactly? I haven't seen anything that adjusts under the column but the little p r n d indicator

pull the cover on the column its a gear adjuster on the cable

I think your misunderstanding my post BUT I will look tomorrow.... Im not talking about the gear indicator... I mean my tranny wont go into park unless i take the cable off and push it all the way in myself instead of from the shifter

Back