Can't make this up!

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
My valve covers rotted out, leaking oil like a sieve. One bolt practically has no metal to fasten.
So I tear down the engine to the lower intake gasket. I'm looking in with a light. A medium size moth (maybe 1/4-1/2) does a kamakaze mission into the cam. Intake ports are stuffed with rags, getting ready to lay down a cardboard :lol:. Is this bad :lol:. I figure (hope) he will eventually disintegrate in the hot oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

moths are soft he wont cause any damage :)

If there is a screen on the pick-up, it will be strained to
say 16 mesh. It ain't goona do a thing.

Then it will take-up bearing clearance and
give you 3 more mile to the gallon.. (joke)

But, why did it eat the VCs?
Bad ground or batter leaks?

If there is a screen on the pick-up, it will be strained to
say 16 mesh. It ain't goona do a thing.

Then it will take-up bearing clearance and
give you 3 more mile to the gallon.. (joke)

But, why did it eat the VCs?
Bad ground or batter leaks?

Probably right, the moth is not going to do anything. Otherwise the engine looks new.

That is a Good question why they rotted out. But I see the ranger guys have that issue too. Probably a bit of road salt gets on there.
On each side, one hole has barely any metal for the bolt to catch on. Can't even be driven a block, it smokes so much. And it goes on the manifold. At least they are 40$ each, no pick and pull here and if there were they wouldn't be worth pulling.

My injectors are also extremely rusty. I am getting a new reman set. One of them didn't make it coming out, even with lots of lube. The tip is loose (not the replaceable pintle).

You probably will not believe this but, the rust is caused by
electrolysis by the engine oil squirting against the underside.

A long time ago I ask about all the grounds on Fords. One on each V/C and one
the head in the back and one the battery ground. Here is something to think about!

You probably will not believe this but, the rust is caused by
electrolysis by the engine oil squirting against the underside.

A long time ago I ask about all the grounds on Fords. One on each V/C and one
the head in the back and one the battery ground. Here is something to think about!

Wow, that is very interesting, and I'm an engineer. I also took a good look behind the engine and noticed the ground straps are in poor condition. Maybe that is why?

Back