Can't open rear window on 99 Eddie Bauer Explorer.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't open rear window on 99 Eddie Bauer Explorer....

Quick Lee

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Rear hatch door opens fine but I can't figure out how to open the window. No key fob remote when I bought it so I can't push any buttons to open. On the right side of the rear license plate, up under the lip of the overhang, there is NOT a rubber coated button which will just open the back window without the whole door going up as I've read some models have. Also the keyless entry code +4 doesn't open it. There's a handle on the glass and the window moves slightly when you pull on it but it's locked and won't open. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The key cylinder on the rear hatch, unlock it and push it in, that opens your glass.

The key cylinder on the rear hatch, unlock it and push it in, that opens your glass.

Nope. Just tried it. Key locks and unlocks the door just fine, but the window stays locked. It's not frozen in place as it moves slightly when you pull on the handle on the glass but it won't open.

The button where the key goes should open the rear glass. If it doesn't the button part is most likely broken. The actual part of it that locks/opens the glass is pretty cheesy and incorporates a lot of plastic bits. You wont be able to find a new replacement and if you get one that works from a junk yard you'd have to have it re-keyed. I never open my rear glass anyway, so it's no big deal to me, besides if they do open the hinges tend to break eventually.

The only way to completely examine the mechanism is to remove the inner hatch trim panel. Getting the actual lock/button out is a PITA (working over your head, rods and clips to deal with, hard to see what you're doing).

I thought you had to unlock, then grab the T-handle and twist left to open the whole hatch, and twist right to open the glass...

I could be way off base on this...

I thought you had to unlock, then grab the T-handle and twist left to open the whole hatch, and twist right to open the glass...

I could be way off base on this...

If we're talking about a '99, it doesn't have a "T" handle. I believe this was eliminated on the '98 model.

The button where the key goes should open the rear glass. If it doesn't the button part is most likely broken. The actual part of it that locks/opens the glass is pretty cheesy and incorporates a lot of plastic bits. You wont be able to find a new replacement and if you get one that works from a junk yard you'd have to have it re-keyed. I never open my rear glass anyway, so it's no big deal to me, besides if they do open the hinges tend to break eventually.

The only way to completely examine the mechanism is to remove the inner hatch trim panel. Getting the actual lock/button out is a PITA (working over your head, rods and clips to deal with, hard to see what you're doing).

Sounds like it's best to just open the rear door and deal with the window not opening. Nobody needs yet another PITA! Thanks for the info.

The actual part of it that locks/opens the glass is pretty cheesy and incorporates a lot of plastic bits. You wont be able to find a new replacement and if you get one that works from a junk yard you'd have to have it re-keyed.

Getting the actual lock/button out is a PITA (working over your head, rods and clips to deal with, hard to see what you're doing).

I pulled the push button out of the junkyard for a member. I thought you could swap key cylinders, but I am not sure on how difficult or possible it was.

Yeah, it does suck taking them out. Not so bad taking them out in the junkyard where you can break/bend stuff that is in the way...

I had the similar problem with my 98 Explorer that had push button to open the window. The mechanical part similar to behind door handles is probably broken. the spring inside has come off or is broken. Just replace that part and you will be fine.

Rear hatch door opens fine but I can't figure out how to open the window. No key fob remote when I bought it so I can't push any buttons to open. On the right side of the rear license plate, up under the lip of the overhang, there is NOT a rubber coated button which will just open the back window without the whole door going up as I've read some models have. Also the keyless entry code +4 doesn't open it. There's a handle on the glass and the window moves slightly when you pull on it but it's locked and won't open. Any ideas?

I had the same issue with my 2000. The rear window was stuck shut for years after a tv that wasn't tied down slammed into it. I removed the door trim by cutting the small plastic strip under the window latch. You'll know what it is as it's the only thing that keeps the door trim on after removing all other panel clips, and unfortunately you have to cut it if you can't open the rear window. Well after that's was off, I saw that the window latch had been pushed towards the rear of the vehicle from the impact of the tv hitting the rear liftgate. Here's the window latch before I loosened the bolts to adjust it:
C22126BB-EAA7-4F3A-BB63-04E45818848E.jpg

I simply loosened the bolts and brought it towards the front of the vehicle will trying to keep it straight. This is what it looks like in the correct position:
031512A2-A784-4B87-8B71-677E166AA0D8.jpg

Hopefully this helps as it fixed my rear window issues and I can open it again after years of not being able to use it. Good luck.

I had the same issue with my 2000. The rear window was stuck shut for years after a tv that wasn't tied down slammed into it. I removed the door trim by cutting the small plastic strip under the window latch. You'll know what it is as it's the only thing that keeps the door trim on after removing all other panel clips, and unfortunately you have to cut it if you can't open the rear window. Well after that's was off, I saw that the window latch had been pushed towards the rear of the vehicle from the impact of the tv hitting the rear liftgate. Here's the window latch before I loosened the bolts to adjust it:
C22126BB-EAA7-4F3A-BB63-04E45818848E.jpg

I simply loosened the bolts and brought it towards the front of the vehicle will trying to keep it straight. This is what it looks like in the correct position:
031512A2-A784-4B87-8B71-677E166AA0D8.jpg

Hopefully this helps as it fixed my rear window issues and I can open it again after years of not being able to use it. Good luck.

Thanks very much, I'll check that out.

Back