Can't remove rear differential drain bolt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't remove rear differential drain bolt

Harley McIntyre

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Geneva, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
Ive used a ton of rust penetrant on it and cranked as hard as I can but it will not budge, I'm thinking it's seized inside the case, here's a picture of what it's looking like. Does anyone have any tips on getting this out without cracking the diff case?

Attachments

• 20190828_121232.jpg
    20190828_121232.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 119

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try an impact? also be sure that you can remove the fill plug first...

As 06bluez said get the fill port out first then try an impact. You may want to try some heat on the aluminum case just dont over heat it or strip the threads.

What 06blues said. If you get both out a little anti seize would make sure this won't happen again.

Ive used a ton of rust penetrant on it and cranked as hard as I can but it will not budge, I'm thinking it's seized inside the case, here's a picture of what it's looking like. Does anyone have any tips on getting this out without cracking the diff case?
If you are ultimately worried about cracking the diff, remove the fill plug and suck out the old fluid by inserting a hose and using a pump. I am assuming you have already, but just in case, try a breaker bar or add a pipe onto your ratchet for more leverage.

I'll ditto most of what has been said. Have you gotten the fill plug out? If not, start there before worrying about the drain plug.

If the fill plug comes out, consider using a suction pump to pull out the fluid you can and then refill. If you are just trying to service the fluid, this option is better.

Do check the fill plug first, as others have advised. I used a hydraulic floor jack on the end of a breaker bar, gently lift the car and let its weight unscrew the plug.

Breaker bar + pipe+ a good size hammer to hit the breaker bar/pipe . try ccw to loosen a little then cw to tighten and back and forth to break the bond. Finally ccw to remove.

Spray a liberal amount of B'laster - 8-PB - Penetrating Catalyst on it and let it soak in a few hours. Put A Pipe extension over your breaker bar for leverage and apply force. If still not budging use a propane torch and heat up the plug. Apply force again, it should turn.

Don't heat the plug! Heat the case. Heating the plug will make it expand and actually make it worse.

Correct, I meant to say heat up around the plug.

Do check the fill plug first, as others have advised. I used a hydraulic floor jack on the end of a breaker bar, gently lift the car and let its weight unscrew the plug.

Can you further describe this method?

Can you further describe this method?
First apply a liberal amount of penetrating catalyst oil on the plug thread area and let it soak in for a few hours.
Place your breaker bar male end into the drain plug and have its handle extend out to the right of the plug close to horizontal to the floor. Now place a hydraulic floor jack with its lifting pad under the extended end of the breaker bar handle. Lift the breaker bar handle with the floor jack. The force on the breaker bar against the weight of the truck it’s lifting should break loose the plug. You could also try a pipe extension on the breaker bar handle and lift the pipe with the floor jack. The greater the length of the extension will apply added force.

Back