Can't remove Upper Control Arm Bolts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't remove Upper Control Arm Bolts

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 AWD. Rebuilding the front end. Loosened both nuts on LH upper control arm and removed ball joint stud from steering knuckle. Both bolts slide toward the center shock tower and make contact with something (tower on front bolt, brake, fuel... lines on rear bolt). What's the secret? Looks like they need to be cut in half to remove them? I could not seperate the bolt from the oblong washer assembly. I'm at a loss....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to carefully push up on the brake lines wiggle the bolt and cuss like a sailor. It took me close to an hour to get mine out.

Good news the right side is a piece of cake.

Ditto. The fuel lines are right in the way, but will flex enough to make it happen. Patience is a virtue.

I don't have patients. When I replaced the upper ball joints on my 97 AWD 5.0 I sawzaw'd the drivers side upper control arm bolts. I put adjustable cam bolts in so I could get the alignment perfect... so no need to reuse the old bolts.

Nick

As has been said, its just a pain in the ass.

Get the aftermarket cam/wedge kit when you get it out. The wedge is not permanently attached to the cam which makes installation a lot easier.

Back