• Register Today It's free!

CAN'T START MY '94 EXPLORER

reconnell

Reaction score
City, State
Akron, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer Sport
I have a '94 Explorer Sport 4.0L V6. Every few days when I go to start it, it will click a few times and then do nothing. Sometimes I turn the key and nothing (the lights dim sometimes). Other times it starts just fine. I've replaced the culinoid, the starter, and the part where the key goes in. I had the wiring checked out and they said it was fine. A repair shop said they were unable to diagnose the problem because they couldn't get it not to start.

Can anyone help me please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had your battery load tested? Some of the parts stores can test the charging system right in the parking lot. Just a thought.

When I took it in to the repair shop I just assumed they would check the battery and alternator when they performed the diagnostics. Maybe they didn't. I just now changed the battery and cleaned the cables. Started right up. I guess I should get the alternator checked too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you replaced the battery cables??? They have a tendency to corrode on the inside, causing problems like yours. If you haven't replaced them, you may want to.

I agree with checking your battery cables, especially at the ends near the battery. Mine gave me the same symptoms your describing. I didn't replace the cables I just cut them off and put some cheapo ends on been working just great.

Definatley check your battery cables first, esspecially the positive one from the battery to starter. You probally could have gotten away with just replacing the cable. The first time I had this problem (2 years ago) they tried to get me for a new starter, and then I just changed the cable on my own and told that shop i would never be back there. Still have the same starter til this day. Damn mechanics!!!!!

I checked the ends of the cables and cleaned them. Is there any easy way to replace the wires? They don't look as easy to do as my wife's '91 Eagle Summit wires, which I replaced about a year ago.

Another question for Explorer/Navaho owners. I heard of an easy way to check the alternator in car; while running, disconnect the negative cable from the battery. If the vehicle shuts off, the alternator is bad. Problem: doing this with some cars damages the computer chip. Will this work with the Explorer or cause damage?

I think we are misleading you when we tell you to check your battery cables because these particular cables look ok but are not. The problem is inside the cable where the terminal ends connect I didn’t see it until I cut them to put a bolt down end on even then it wasn’t easy to spot just a slight corrosion burn to a strand or two of the wire. I know many people don’t like the universal cable ends I put on, but they don’t look bad and are working for me. First my positive end went then a couple months later my negative. I think battery fumes washing over them have something to do with this problem. I replaced my starter and relay before spending under $5.oo on the cable ends. Just be sure to get a good connection and do a nice neat job. (It’s a cheap easy thing to try) Good Luck.

Easy way i found to replace cable it's leave existing cable and run new one. The wire from relay to fuel pump is in same conduit, so was just easier to leave it be and run new one.but yeah replace that cable mine was corroded on inside

Back