Cape Cod! | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cape Cod!

When Should We Go To Cape Cod?

• Total voters
The Park Service has updated the ORV access map today 6/15... The entire Race point North route has no been CLOSED.
ORVMap.6.15.07-2.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...or Dick's Sporting Goods. They've gotta have something. Worst case, buy something online.

Have we even come up w/a campsite? I've never been so I have no clue what area is better....

John I know youve been busy but is July still a go? I still need to buy my pass & all that good stuff thats why Im asking...
Plus might only be taking just 1 truck, been too lazy to replace the tranny lately. :)

As expected the piping plover's are very active, which is a good thing for them, but not so good for us. The latest access map 6/21 shows new ORV access closures (the entire race point north and south access routes). These recent closures will result in severe orv access restrictions until the end of the July (based on the hatching and fledgling time tables). I have contacted other 4x4 clubs in the area and their runs are planed for mid+ Aug dates. I am therefore recommending we do the same..

The Park Service has updated the ORV access map today 6/21... The entire Race point North & South routes are now CLOSED.
ORVMap.6.21.07.JPG

Hahaha, WHO'S UP FOR A FISHING TRIP?? :D

Holy crap

But if we wait till mid Aug like the rest of the clubs itll be crowded. Do we wanna still plan on the original date & take it day by day? Or we can go w/Issacs idea...lol

It was not crowed at all when we went last year and the year before. There is alot of beach, We wont have to worrie about, This is why I suggested we change it to August.

Yup. It's true. It only gets crowded on the west end, west of the ranger station. There's a lot of open beach left over.

Yup. It's true. It only gets crowded on the west end, west of the ranger station. There's a lot of open beach left over.

Sorry all greek to me...never been to the Cape. Is there any possibility that the roads will reopen or does it take awhile? Are there any places further down the Cape that would have roads open?

Sorry all greek to me...never been to the Cape. Is there any possibility that the roads will reopen or does it take awhile? Are there any places further down the Cape that would have roads open?

Most club outings only result in a handful (5-10) of trucks showing up for an event; as such crowding has never been a problem during full ORV access. The ORV routes are 7+miles long (when full access is granted) and you can park FAR away from people if you want.. As mentioned only the areas around the Race point lighthouse (North) get crowded. This is where lots of people go and tailgate for the day; Lots of families and young kids running everywhere so you need to keep speed down with an eye out for crazy kids.. The beach goers start to leave after 4pm and by 6pm you can run the entire beach :)

Right now only a 1/4 mile of beach is opened. Basically when the park rangers find a plover nest they protect it by placing a snow fence around it and then stop all traffic in that area.. Since it takes 25 days for eggs to hatch and another 25+ days for the chicks to fly it can be awhile before access is restored.

Other areas with far less ORV routes are facing the same scenario this year. Check out the article on plovers in Nauset

Ok I didnt know it took that long for the birds...
So whats the deal guys? Are we gonna hold off until August? I mean we could go in July, just cant do much 4X4 then.
It doesnt matter to me, just need to know a date so I can make arraingements

Ok I didnt know it took that long for the birds...
So whats the deal guys? Are we gonna hold off until August? I mean we could go in July, just cant do much 4X4 then.
It doesnt matter to me, just need to know a date so I can make arraingements

Its getting too close to 7/14 to make a decision based on too many unknowns. While areas could open up by mid July I don't want to risk it. I am not planning on going in July and will be looking into a late Aug date.

Most members that come do so to wheel on the beach.. Otherwise they would just hit their local watering hole. Driving 4+hrs to park your truck on asphalt and hike to the beach isn't going to cut it (IMO).

Its getting too close to 7/14 to make a decision based on too many unknowns. While areas could open up by mid July I don't want to risk it. I am not planning on going in July and will be looking into a late Aug date.

Mark your calendars Aug 25, 26 2007 is the weekend. I have been in contact with NEOW (North East Online Wheelers) and they are also planning to have a presence down the cape on this same weekend. We hooked up with them in '05 and they are a great bunch of people. See NEOW's Cape thread This date is far enough in the future so people can make whatever arrangements they need to make. While I don't foresee a huge turnout I would expect a 1/2 dozen or so rigs from each club...

10-4! Sounds good to me

Mark your calendars Aug 25, 26 2007 is the weekend. I have been in contact with NEOW (North East Online Wheelers) and they are also planning to have a presence down the cape on this same weekend. We hooked up with then in '05 and they are a great bunch of people. See NEOW's Cape thread This date is far enough in the future so people can make whatever arrangements they need to make. While I don't foresee a huge turnout I would expect a 1/2 dozen or so rigs from each club...

Well I'm down but I'm gonna try & make it the 24th-26th so I can have more "ME" time.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds great to me too. Count me in!! :D :thumbsup:

Can you add the above info to the Nex web site? Also please add the Jamboree info as well.. Thanks Sandy!

Back