capless fuel system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

capless fuel system

mtz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
12 explorer
Question about it...since the capless fuel system has no cap, i also noticed the gas door doesn't lock. With that being said is that safe? Since it doesn't lock anyone has access to the gas tank essentially? Maybe too paranoid about people pouring stuff in there I guess... Wonder why ford chose not to make it lockable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question about it...since the capless fuel system has no cap, i also noticed the gas door doesn't lock. With that being said is that safe? Since it doesn't lock anyone has access to the gas tank essentially? Maybe too paranoid about people pouring stuff in there I guess... Wonder why ford chose not to make it lockable?

It's anti-siphon and you need a special extension to get anything in (apparently).

That being said, Ford does sell an aftermarket locking cap.

I would have preferred a good old fashioned gas cap with a gas door that had a release lever in the car.

You can buy a lockable plug for around $25 .I put one on mine the next day.

I believe you do need to use the special funnel to breach some sort of lever inside the capless system that actually allows fluid to flow. And like above ford sells a locking cap if you are scared

I believe Ford has been using this since 2008. From what I've read, it is a spring loaded interior lid that closes off if anyone attempts to use a non standard pump nozzle. It also seals tighter than the regular cap and thereby reduces fuel evaporation.
I've tested it using a regular plastic nozzle from a typical plastic gas can and the lid didn't budge.

Peter

I was never the one to lose or misplace a gas cap, so I was suprised not see one. My first question was about siphoning and evaporation those answers were given to me as explained above
The only thing I miss about the gas cap is I would use it to hold the fuel pump lever on while fueling and then go squeegee my windows etc.

I haven't begun to look for a work around, something that I could keep in the void behind the lid, golf tee, racquet ball something like that.

I would have preferred a good old fashioned gas cap with a gas door that had a release lever in the car.

Nope! I love the cap-less system.

The only thing I miss about the gas cap is I would use it to hold the fuel pump lever on while fueling and then go squeegee my windows etc.
I did that from time to time until the attendant told me that wasn't allowed.

Peter

I did that from time to time until the attendant told me that wasn't allowed.

Peter

"Attendant" at a gas station, must be a Canadien thing. Usually you have to hunt one down in the states and they're usually to busy ringing up coffees to notice.

In Arizona many gas stations have the trigger locks - auto disengages when full... I guess some states make it hard...

Must be because it gets so cold here in the winter... ;)

Alan

In Arizona many gas stations have the trigger locks - auto disengages when full... I guess some states make it hard...

Must be because it gets so cold here in the winter... ;)

Alan

Yeah those things are almost a thing of the past, either broken or removed. Can't remember the last time I was lucky to use one.

"Attendant" at a gas station, must be a Canadien thing. Usually you have to hunt one down in the states and they're usually to busy ringing up coffees to notice.
You are right. They are usually busy with customers in the small convenience store on site. Unfortunately, they sit right at the window and if they see you cleaning your windows while the pump is still running, I guess some are able to figure it out. All the pumps have the auto shut off when the tank is full but I guess they still don't want you to leave it unattended. That is why they removed the ability to lock the nozzle in the ON position a few years ago. It only happened the one time.

Peter

There are two little "buttons" on the sides of the fuel fill point that the nozzle pushes back, and then the door will open. It's not that easy to do with a regular old funnel - I tried. I ended up with a long slim screw driver and a lot of monkeying around til I finally hit both releases.

That being said, anyone who really wants your fuel, with a locking door or not, is going to get it. A big screwdriver is their friend.

There are two little "buttons" on the sides of the fuel fill point that the nozzle pushes back, and then the door will open. It's not that easy to do with a regular old funnel - I tried. I ended up with a long slim screw driver and a lot of monkeying around til I finally hit both releases.

That being said, anyone who really wants your fuel, with a locking door or not, is going to get it. A big screwdriver is their friend.

Good point, if someone really wants something of yours, fuel, wheels, your identity they'll find a way. It's that neighborhood kid, short on cash and fuel that will likely be frustrated and move onto the next one.

When fuel hits 4.00 or higher there is a spike of drive offs at gas stations and siphoning instances, according to my my friend who's a local cop. As he said you can bank on it.

Agree with the above, if someone was really interested in getting into the gas tank would a locked door or gas cap really stop them? Just like alarms, door locks, wheel locks, and everything else, it is the 90% solution, but if someone really wants to do something they will be able to and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

As for the handle lock on the pumps. In VA almost everyone has them and they are great. If I am traveling and run into a pump without the lock, I just put my swiss army knife in the handle vertically :)

Agree with the above, if someone was really interested in getting into the gas tank would a locked door or gas cap really stop them? Just like alarms, door locks, wheel locks, and everything else, it is the 90% solution, but if someone really wants to do something they will be able to and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

As for the handle lock on the pumps. In VA almost everyone has them and they are great. If I am traveling and run into a pump without the lock, I just put my swiss army knife in the handle vertically :)
I tried pouring dry gas in my 2010 Mustang ...... Without the funnel inserted, it just pours out the underside of the car, so nothing can get into the tank. It probably works better then the conventional gas cap. :D

"Attendant" at a gas station, must be a Canadien thing.

Stop for gas in Jersey sometime... Every station has at least one. You're not allowed to pump your own gas. :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Of the probably 200 fill-ups I've done in the last 2 years, I can count on one hand the number of times there was no lock to keep the handle pounding without holding it.

The capless is a well engineered system. If it sucked and was easy to defeat, you'd have heard thousands of complaints by now. If it was not sealed, there would be Ford cars and trucks either on fire or leaking fuel vapors and gas all over the country.

Trust the engineering, it's fine.

Back