Car Hauling with a LIFTED explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car Hauling with a LIFTED explorer?

zPike00EB

Reaction score
City, State
boston, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EB
Has anyone hauled another vehicle with their LIFTED explorer? I have a 00 EB 5.0 AWD with the typical TT/Shackle + 3" body. I was wondering what this does for the vehicles max tow recomendations. I have removed the air shock system, and have contemplated an add-a-leaf, or even a heavier pack.

The vehicle would be a 92' Cherokee (3300lbs + steel bumpers + winch), About a two and a half hour drive to New Hampshire (legal trails).

I looked through the towing section -- and mostly saw pictures for STOCK vehicles. Has anyone done this..?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to pull around an '05 Jeep Wrangler (unknown weight) on a 1200lb trailer with an OHV v6. It wasn't pretty but she did it.

The FIRST thing I would take a look at is your brakes, make sure they're in very good working condition, no leaks especially under the hood (i.e. the master cylinder). And if you do decide to tow it, be VERY nice to the brakes. That's where I had issues as I think something's going south with my master cylinder or booster.

As far as power wise, you should have plenty with the 5.0,

The hitch was a craigslist find -- not sure on brand or class.

It's a 2" receiver, and mounts with 6 (total) bolts.

If you have it on a good trailer with the proper drop ball (and a class III hitch on your truck), you should be fine. I used to haul our '66 Mustang around on a trailer behind our '01 lifted XLS with no problems.

Back