• Register Today It's free!

Car leans, any suggestions?

WLax007

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I just noticed that my 98 xlt leans on the driver side of the car at about a 1 inch difference than the right. What could be the problem? Could i possibly just twist the tortion bars? Or is it the leaf springs. Ive got some ideas as to what i could do: switch the leaf springs, or get a add a leaf or warrior shackle. Whats the cheapest way to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swap the leaf springs side to side, and it will fix the lean. It is because the gas tank is on the drivers side, and the leafs wear out sooner with the extra weight

Well now i am really confused, my 98 x leans on the pass side, when i hit a bump, it feels very bouncy. I have replaced the ball joint's, the shocks(ky's), and evened out the torsion bars, and aligned it, and still bouncy? Could the pass torsion bar be bad as it's mostly the front, that leans?

Idea: sell the whole thing and get a nice old rusty 1st generation. These are the best for wheeling and they actually have coil springs, not torsion bars

Well thanks,that would be easier, but won't help me now. I guess my main question is how do you know when the t-bars have had it? and if i replace them which one's are the stiffest?

Does the whole truck lean on the drivers side is it only the rear? Don't forget that when the truck is filled with gas, its gonna lean to the left since the weight of the gas in the tank. I would probably go with shackles but thats my preference. Measure on a flat surface like a garage and measure all 4 wheel wells and make sure its the same or atleast within 1/2"

That's just it, it's not leaning on the driver's side, the drivers side is nice and stiff, actually it is leaning on the, passenger side, more toward's the front.

INTELLER2 said:
That's just it, it's not leaning on the driver's side, the drivers side is nice and stiff, actually it is leaning on the, passenger side, more toward's the front.

Just crank on the passenger side torsion bar to make it even with the drivers side. The leaf springs will sag a little after putting in shackles or AALs.. that just common.

I evened out both sides and got it aligned, but it is still doing it.

Back