• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Car revving by itself; engine won't turn off!

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
The tube between the air box and the throttle body on my 94 is plastic. Only the end seals are a rubbery type material. If I decide to repair the seals on mine I will clean them well with Acetone and cover the ends of the tube with wax paper before using the Permatex.

Actually, yea... this is the way it is. The ends are a hard rubber, the middle bit is plastic. On the 1991, the two outer pieces are a hard rubber and the middle is a plastic. I think in 1992 and up they brought out a single-piece with rubber ends.

In any event, both ends attaching to the air box and throttle body are flexible rubber that should work well with Permatex Black.

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
The tube between the air box and the throttle body on my 94 is plastic. Only the end seals are a rubbery type material. If I decide to repair the seals on mine I will clean them well with Acetone and cover the ends of the tube with wax paper before using the Permatex.

My thought was to place some sort of removable/throw-away "form" inside the round tube end -- maybe a round piece of heavy-duty cardboard covered in something that the Permatex won't stick to (like wax paper you mention...)

...then apply the Permatex around this form. Then, after it firms up, pull out the form.

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
In any event, both ends attaching to the air box and throttle body are flexible rubber that should work well with Permatex Black.

Last time I had it off -- the *plastic* part was getting pretty doggy on the TB side, and the rubber O-ring was pretty bad, too. The plastic is worn probably because the O-ring deteriorated...in a way it protects the plastic, or so it appears on my intake.

Too many heat cycles -- and too many intake and TB schenanigans on my part all these years -- have caught up with that poor intake tube I guess.