• Register Today It's free!

Car Stereo Help

Michael H

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor utility
Has anyone already upgraded their factory radio. There is no speakers, or aux inputs on this radio and would like to install something with apple car play, however nothing seems to be available. I've contacted Metra and they told me that the ac relocation control kit doesn't fit this year model. I would even be willing to put a premium factory one in if its possible but I cant find one available.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:

Peter

Has anyone already upgraded their factory radio. There is no speakers, or aux inputs on this radio and would like to install something with apple car play, however nothing seems to be available. I've contacted Metra and they told me that the ac relocation control kit doesn't fit this year model. I would even be willing to put a premium factory one in if its possible but I cant find one available.

Hello Michael,

I have been looking for the same thing for my 2013 PIU , Let me know if you find any solution. if you go to the junk yard, you can find a display unit, temperature & radio control and HD radio for less $400, but I don't know if they compatible with PIUs.

If you have Sync already, it should be possible to upgrade the stereo components with junkyard finds, and the functionality through programming the modules. If you have the most basic FCDIM without Sync, the challenge with upgrading is getting a wiring harness to connect the upgraded components.

I'm investigating that myself, actually. My PIU is really basic as far as the entertainment system goes. I bought a wrecked one pretty cheap to salvage & sell parts from, it turned out that it has Sync. I'd like to upgrade, but I've already found mine to be lacking a way to connect the Sync module, which I'm guessing is going to be incredibly limiting as far as upgrades go. When the weather warms up a little, I'm going to work on getting the wiring harness out, but at a glance, the whole under-dash wiring harness is one complete thing, so I'd have to swap it in its entirety.

I have a 2015 PIU with basic stereo and just bought a center floor console that has Sync, an SD card reader, Line In and a pair of USB ports. Wondering if there is a way to connect those up to existing? I know one of the members sells a kit for the line input so there seems to be a way to plug/connect. Any thoughts as to how?

Back