DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
I have heard our vehicles referred to as Cars by some, Trucks by others and Rigs by yet more members.

My question,
When does a truck become a rig?

Discuss please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have always wondered this. I feel that it is a rig when it can be driven every day, wheeled, and drove again. Or does that just make it multifunctional?

car1  /kɑr/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kahr] Show IPA
–noun 1. an automobile.
2. a vehicle running on rails, as a streetcar or railroad car.
3. the part of an elevator, balloon, modern airship, etc., that carries the passengers, freight, etc.
4. British Dialect. any wheeled vehicle, as a farm cart or wagon.
5. Literary. a chariot, as of war or triumph.
6. Archaic. cart; carriage.

truck2  /trʌk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [truhk] Show IPA ,
–noun 1. vegetables raised for the market.
2. miscellaneous articles of little worth; odds and ends.
3. Informal. trash or rubbish: That's a lot of truck.
4. Informal. dealings: I'll have no truck with him.
5. barter.
6. a bargain or deal.
7. the payment of wages in goods instead of money.
8. truck system.

–verb (used with object) 9. to exchange; trade; barter.

–verb (used without object) 10. to exchange commodities; barter.
11. to traffic; have dealings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1175–1225; ME trukien to exchange < OF troquer to exchange
truck3  /trʌk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [truhk] Show IPA ,
–noun 1. a shuffling jitterbug step.

–verb (used without object) 2. to dance with such steps.
3. Slang. to walk or stroll, esp. in a jaunty manner: trucking down the avenue on a Sunday afternoon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rig  /rɪg/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rig] Show IPA verb, rigged, rig⋅ging, noun
–verb (used with object) 1. Chiefly Nautical. a. to put in proper order for working or use.
b. to fit (a ship, mast, etc.) with the necessary shrouds, stays, etc.
c. to fit (shrouds, stays, sails, etc.) to the mast, yard, or the like.

2. to furnish or provide with equipment, clothing, etc.; fit (usually fol. by out or up).
3. to assemble, install, or prepare (often fol. by up).
4. to manipulate fraudulently: to rig prices.

–noun 5. the arrangement of the masts, spars, sails, etc., on a boat or ship.
6. apparatus for some purpose; equipment; outfit; gear: a hi-fi rig; Bring your rod and reel and all the rest of your fishing rig.
7. Also called drill rig. the equipment used in drilling an oil well.
8. any combination trucking unit in which vehicles are hooked together, as a tractor-trailer.
9. any kind of truck.
10. a carriage, buckboard, sulky, or wagon together with the horse or horses that draw it.
11. Informal. costume or dress, esp. when odd or conspicuous, or when designated for a particular purpose: He looks quite nifty in a butler's rig.

—Verb phrases
12. rig down, Nautical. to place in an inactive state, stowing all lines, tackles, and other removable parts.
13. rig up, to equip or set up for use.

I consider it a Rig, when it does something over the top, or different then the average.

Exsample:

My F-150 I consider a Rig when it's towing, other then that it's just a Truck.

Explorer could be a Rig, but I consider it in the Toy catagory, sence that's all it really is now. Just as you would have a boat, or sandrail, etc; etc; ;)

I see a "rig" to be along the lines of a "semi" or "18 wheeler"...

truck.jpg

I always seperated car from truck with a unibody/frame distinction. My wife's CR-V is unibody thus it is a car. The Explorer has a frame which in my eyes makes it a truck because a real truck just can't have a unibody. As for Rig it needs to have 10 wheels and be capable of towing really big trailers.

In the news, it's an SUV if it rolls over or hits someone... sheesh. I go with truck.

Explorer is an SUV

but it's a RBV (ranger based vehicle) which warrants calling it a truck

So Cal kids are always tagging things with a new name...you don't call it a rig around them...that's for the Kodiak pulling the 40' toy hauler or diesel pusher pulling a stacker trailer...their new thing is to call it a car. Moving out from the midwest took time to catch on that a sand car, sand rail, sand buggy is like coke, soda, pop, all the same thing.

I have always wondered this. I feel that it is a rig when it can be driven every day, wheeled, and drove again. Or does that just make it multifunctional?

...Naaa, A wise man once called this being Bi-Trucksual...:D

If it is used for other purposes than fetching groceries, and is truck based, I call it a RIG.

My work vehichles, pick up, or SUV, is a RIG.

If it has been modified to do something other than how it was originally made, it has been Rigged.

Explorer is an SUV

but it's a RBV (ranger based vehicle) which warrants calling it a truck

So Cal kids are always tagging things with a new name...you don't call it a rig around them...that's for the Kodiak pulling the 40' toy hauler or diesel pusher pulling a stacker trailer...their new thing is to call it a car. Moving out from the midwest took time to catch on that a sand car, sand rail, sand buggy is like coke, soda, pop, all the same thing.

you forgot sand limo:p:

and if only trucks and SUV's have frames, what is this? a car?

1991.jeep.comanche.5969-396x249.jpg

In the offroad world, the new use of the term "car" came from out west. Now a rockcrawler buggy is a "car". Its retarded.

In Australia they say...

come forward guys and give us a new group of names.

its a truck, its my rig, its the x.

the cars a car

I call mine a truck. My jack ass father in-law always called it a van :mad:

IMHO a semi trac/trlr is a big rig. Years ago guys called their motorhomes rigs. Guess they thought they were big enough to be rigs.
Trucks, passenger type vehicles, have an open load bed and are usually called "pickups."
A SUV is a car. Its a station wagon body style. SUV sounds better than 4wd. sta.wgn.
Frame under? Our 49 Buick Roadmaster Sta.Wgn. had a hell of a frame under it. Being only 2wd w/a Dynaflow trans. it wasnt too sporty but it sure was a utility vehicle.
Call it what you will or want to, it is what it is.......

I think car is universal for any vehicle.

Truck, can be used for any pickup, or anything built on the frame of one.

The term rig, IMO, is for a truck that is used for offroad or towing purposes. Rig, of course, is also reserved for 18 wheelers:p:

If it can be called a rig, though, it can be called a truck and a car, too.

I'd say they are all more or less interchangeable, and in particular, may be called different things depending on the audience. For example, talking to a friend, it may be "my car...." but talking in terms of towing and offroading, it would be "my truck/rig...."

Junk = Navajo

Truck = Flareside = F150

Tow Rig = Dually = F350

Mudstain = Wife's Junk = Mudstain

Junior's Junk = The Other Mudstain = More Junk I have to work on

Jeff = :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So what is a Ranchero or an El Camino?

Back