Car/Truck/SUV/CUV - What you you call your 5th Gen Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car/Truck/SUV/CUV - What you you call your 5th Gen Explorer?

What do you call/refer to your 5th Gen Explorer as?

• Car

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Truck

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • SUV

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • CUV/Crossover

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • something else (please post and elaborate)

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

Bryceb

Reaction score
City, State
Acworth, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
Just curious, what do you call/refer to your 5th Gen Explorer as?
Car, Truck, SUV, CUV, something else?

I call mine my car, but other members of my extended family call it a truck.

I guess my explanation is to differentiate it from the other vehicle... '01 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel.
on our '84 Bronco, I guess I call it a truck, but I had to think about it as I usually just call it the Bronco.
my wife's '07 Edge has never been referred to as a truck by my family, but it's not that much different than the Explorer when you get down to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Minivan...

Funny story.. when I brought ours home, my kids came out to look at it and my son's comment was "Dad! Cool Mini-van".. he was serious about it being cool and a mini-van. I felt a little sick though :eek:

ain't no truck! lol

Raptor - Truck
HD F-150 - Truck
'85 F-150 - Truck
Lightning - Truck
Explorer - Not a truck lol

ain't no truck! lol

Raptor - Truck
HD F-150 - Truck
'85 F-150 - Truck
Lightning - Truck

Haha true!

It's definitely an SUV. The Grand Cherokee was never body on frame to begin with and you could add lift kits and what not to it. As long as it can tow, capable of going on offroad terrain without modifications and possibly doing better stuff with some modifications, and so on, it's an SUV.
Definitely an SUV with 7 seats slapped on it. Definitely an AWD vehicle though.

ain't no truck! lol

Raptor - Truck
HD F-150 - Truck
'85 F-150 - Truck
Lightning - Truck

I think it's a regional thing to call it a truck. It seem to be family in the midwest and family that don't have a pick-up that call it a truck.

But ya.. my F-250 is all truck... or maybe a Texas Townecar!
the Explorer to me is not a truck.

Actually it's a glorified WAGON :) :) :)

or CUV - we just call it the ex (since we've been calling my 3 Excursions that since 2002)

let me be more explicit though.... as an example - "We going in yours (meaning Explorer) or mine (meaning F-350)?"

and since hers is a lease and she's the mileage nazi - usually we go in mine (unless she needs gas in hers !)

A big headache!

I call mine "the truck" because I traded in my F150 on the explorer... so we've always called my vehicle "the truck"

Having said that, I don't consider it to be a truck.

Not a truck

It isn't a truck. Even Ford recognizes that since it is shown under the Crossovers & SUVs tab on their website. My vote was for SUV. I would consider the Edge a CUV.

Peter

We call it the car. And since it's the same platform as the taurus I do t feel wrong by doing so. But we even called our suburban the car just cause truck still seemed strange.

Minivan...

Agreed. Either that or a CUV. Hell no way is this an SUV let alone a truck. Who ever voted truck here is nuts. Sorry but a truck has frame rails and never will be a unibody. Oh and just so were clear yes I would consider the Grand Cherokee to be a CUV. :)

SUVs and Trucks can go offroad, CUVs like the 5th gen will never see more than a dirt road or rough pavment lol.

Agreed. Either that or a CUV. Hell no way is this an SUV let alone a truck. Who ever voted truck here is nuts. Sorry but a truck has frame rails and never will be a unibody. Oh and just so were clear yes I would consider the Grand Cherokee to be a CUV. :)

SUVs and Trucks can go offroad, CUVs like the 5th gen will never see more than a dirt road or rough pavment lol.
The Explorer is capable of light to moderate off road use. More so that the Edge which I feel is the true CUV. You can attach whatever definition you want to it but that doesn't make it necessarily so. An SUV doesn't have to be able to climb mountains to be labelled as one. Many of them have various off road capabilities. If it makes you feel good to call it a CUV, that's great. Many of us still call it a SUV. The true SUV I believe is the Mercedes Benz G class.

Peter

It is not an insult to call it a CUV and it doesn't make me feel better to call it a CUV. The term crossover is what the automotive industry has given vehicles like the 5th gen Explorer.

It is not an insult to call it a CUV and it doesn't make me feel better to call it a CUV. The term crossover is what the automotive industry has given vehicles like the 5th gen Explorer.
I agree James but I've also seen it referred to as an SUV. So there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the topic. Looking at my 2011 Explorer brochure, Ford refers to it as an SUV. So let's just agree to disagree. ;)

Peter

It is whatever Ford says it is no matter what an internet poll shows. We still call an F150 a half ton even though it has little resemblance to what a half ton was when the term was coined and for the reason it came to be called that.

We call our Edge the car. In my family, vehicles are pretty much called a car or a truck. There's no "your CUV or my truck?" discussions. Seems silly if y'all do. We called the Z71 Tahoe she had previously a truck and had "your truck or mine?" discussions then. She wants an Explorer next. I bet we'll call it the car in such conversations. Outside suburbia, I doubt many would call it a truck. Nobody says SUV in conversation...at least not where I'm from. One syllable is sufficient.

It's s truck or a car in the real world. It's whatever Ford calls it in arguments like this. It's just a four wheeler if you ask a trucker.

Jeez people get worked up... just because someone calls it their truck doesn't mean that they think it's an actual truck or has truck capabilities.

Some just call it "truck" to differentiate from "the car" ... no reason for people to get offended... lol

It is whatever Ford says it is no matter what an internet poll shows. We still call an F150 a half ton even though it has little resemblance to what a half ton was when the term was coined and for the reason it came to be called that.

We call our Edge the car. In my family, vehicles are pretty much called a car or a truck. There's no "your CUV or my truck?" discussions. Seems silly if y'all do. We called the Z71 Tahoe she had previously a truck and had "your truck or mine?" discussions then. She wants an Explorer next. I bet we'll call it the car in such conversations. Outside suburbia, I doubt many would call it a truck. Nobody says SUV in conversation...at least not where I'm from. One syllable is sufficient.

It's s truck or a car in the real world. It's whatever Ford calls it in arguments like this. It's just a four wheeler if you ask a trucker.

Agreed. Since it's mine, it's our truck. If it were my wife's and I still had my F150, it would be our car.

I should have mentioned that. If we had an Explorer and a Taurus (or insert other sedan here) we'd likely call it a truck to differentiate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Truck to me has always been something with a bed in the back and an interchangeable one at that with a frame and has a function other than just going offroad and carrying passengers like mostly for cargo. The E-150 and upcoming T series are definitely vans because they just mainly hold cargo in the inside. The F-150 is a real truck, an Expedition a full size SUV, and so on. The Explorer is no way a truck because you can't do heavy duty things at all with it besides light offroading. If you load something heavy in the back, you'll just break the seat backings. It's definitely an SUV.

I guess people call the Explorer a truck because of its size?
I just like to categorize things closer to their true function rather than its look. :)

Back