Car Washing/Waxing/Detailing Tips? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car Washing/Waxing/Detailing Tips?

I'm sure Monmix will have some great info, but if anyone else has anything, feel free to share.

I just bought another Explorer yesterday and I'd like to shine it up. The paint looks fantastic, but I'd like to go the extra mile. I just need some help with the procedure... hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

My plans are as follows:

Step #1 - Remove badges, moldings, and pin stripes and residue with GooGone

Step #2 - Wash with degreasing dish liquid soap to remove old wax
-allow to dry

Step #3 - Claybar with Meguiars claybar kit

Step #4 - Wash with automotive soap... probably Meguiars Gold... I'm out, so I need to pick something up today

Step #5 - Use Turtle Wax Rubbing/Polishing compound on any swirls

Step #6 - Apply a coat of Meguiars Cleaner Wax

I also plan to paint the bumper trim pieces with Kyrlon Fusion, but I'm not sure I'll get to it today.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly? Check out the Meg's forum. Their professional techs post frequently. I wouldn't finish with a cleaner wax, you need a polish and final wax after that...

Setps 1-4 sound great

I use zaino products for the rest.
A bit costly but you will never go back.

door.jpg

Thanks for chiming in. Your pic looks almost like a mirror!

I ended up changing it up a bit. I bought some Turtle Wax Liquid Ice polish. I still used the rubbing/polishing compound and then the Cleaner Wax, but I topped it off with the Liquid Ice. That stuff works wonders on black trim... especially if there is any wax residue.

What would you recommend for a durable wax that will keep me protected... preferably something I can find at a local auto parts store. Is a synthetic wax the way to go? A lot of people seem to like the Meguiars NXT.

thanks. I use my door every morning to brush my teeth and comb my hair. :D

If you dont want to go the zaino route than I really cant give any good advice. I used exclusively Meguars products before zaino. I do her good stuff about NXT

Fair enough. I know a lot of people rave about Zaino, but for a vehicle that will be used offroad occasionally, I just don't want to spend that kind of coin. However, I would like to keep it looking pretty good while it's not being abused, so I'm just trying to find a compromise. I think I'll give the NXT stuff a shot. I've spent $15 on dumber stuff than that, lol. If you click on the link below, you can see the progress I've made so far. I decided to do some painting today.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=221606

If you want to clean it up and go the extra mile, and I am sure Monmix will back me up here, do the wash with dawn detergent soap and then clay bar it and then wash again with a mild soap. It makes it all worth while. I did a write on a bunch of steps I did on my red X and it turned out pretty nice. Do a search on my name and see if you can't find it...

That's the procedure I used. It's hard to tell if the dish soap really removes the wax... there didn't appear to be any residue coming off. Maybe all of my wax was wore off, lol.

try Meguiars new NXT Paste wax, i've used it myself and i havent used any other wax since, and even the spray NXT wax isnt bad either for after a quick wash

eio7m9.jpg

2nt90yq.jpg

personally I would stay away from the turtle wax rubbing compound, because it is very abrasive. If you want to remove light swirls and scratches, you can get meguairs scratchX OTC. You can use scratchX to do the whole vehicle, make sure when you apply it use a foam applicator pad. Wash vehicle, clay vehicle, polish with scratchX and then finish with a wax. A good OTC wax is either meguairs NTX tech wax, or gold class.

Back