• Register Today It's free!

Car wont start... clicking

artgod33

Reaction score
City, State
Patriot Nation
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
Drove home yesterday parked in front of my house went to get into my car ry to start it it started turning over and died.

then ... CLick

and kept clicking every time I tried it.

Terminals were a little corroded so I went bought new ones.

Click.

Went to bed woke up this mroning.

Click

Went to work in my other car.

Came home started to turn over then died.

Click.

took out the battery and had it charged.

Still a ####ing Click!

Any suggestions?

Starters about a year and a half old, starter solenoid is maybe 8 months old <-- thats where the clickings coming from!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I tired rapping the starter a few times and then starting it (I was alone) tried it a couple times actually.

Click.

Had the same problem with my 92. Battery wouldn't hold a charge. It wouldn't even start with a boost. Put in a new battery and it started immediately. Good Luck.

Get a new battery. Try jumping it.

i dont know bout second gens but the battery cables corrode from the inside on the first ones so if the battery doesent work you could try that

Looks like its he starter. I crawled under the truck with a pry bar and whacked at it wile I hit the remote starter and it started. Took it for a ride aroundthe block parked it shut it off then click.

I'm about to crawl under and pull the starter now. Only a year old but at least its under warranty!

Battery is too I'll sing the truck by sears after I get it running to check that out too just in case.

After all... What warranties for!?!?!

The starters USUALLY last quite a while in the Explorer. But when they die, they REALLY die. It's not like the old days when you could tell the starter was getting weaker, and it took a bit more to start the car. The starter in the Explorer is a PMGR Starter i.e; Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction.

It will give ZERO indication that it is about to fail on you. One day it is working 100%, then the next day....NOTHING.

Ryan

So I replaced the starter yesterday and VROOM.. right up!

Drove it arund last nigth running errands and it started no problem.
This mornign I go to start it.

nothing.

I needed to jump start it, I will swing by sears either at lunch or after work to go grab a new battery since this one is still under warranty.

I'm really beginingt o wonder if it's the batter cables.

I just put new terminals on... even trimmed the wire back to make sure there was good wire and no corrosion. Maybe I should have picked up new cable and terminals, the only reason I didn't is I didn't know where to splice in the positive cable to the harness.

Oye... starting to figure out why these trucks are so popular for the cash for clunkers program.

lol yea i could never clunker it though its an automotive holocaust. but i would honestly just buy replacement cables from like NAPA or a parts store if its anything like my truck they just bolt right up to the old spot granted i have a first gen and im assuming yours is a second if you dont lose bolts like me:) your good to go:thumbsup: and if its anything liek my truck its prolly your neg because about half way down it splices to a clip and its not covered so water could get in

Back