Car2U - Great Customer Service Experience | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car2U - Great Customer Service Experience

GeorgeL

Reaction score
City, State
Burnt Hills, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited
This is my first time posting to a forum but I couldn't hold back. I just had a great customer service experience with the makers of the Car2U garage door opener. I was unable to program my daughter's garage door opener to my new Ex. The opener is made by Allstar and it doesn't have a learn button on the unit or DIP switches in the remote. I found a web site for the manufacturer, Lear Car2U. http://learcar2u.com/ They offer an automated system that will give you programming instructions after you enter the model number for the opener. Unfortunately their system didn't find this opener. I used the "Contact Us" link and sent them an email at 6:30 PM EST tonight. I received a phone call 30 minutes later. The very polite and helpful woman said that this unit couldn't be programmed per the owner's manual instructions because the unit doesn't have a "Learn" button. She is sending me a module that plugs into the outlet and connects to the opener with two wires. The module is free for Ford owners. I just wish the dealers could be as friendly and helpful. Hope this helps someone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your post. I'm trying to understand exactly what the end result looks like regarding this fix. Are you able to use the buttons on your sun visor? Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

You get a small box (approx. cigarette pack size) that plugs in to and mounts on the outlet the opener is plugged into using the switch plate screw. Two wires run to the opener (the same terminals that the wall switch attaches to). The box has a "learning" button for programming to your car visor buttons. After programming, the button chosen on your visor will operate the opener. I assume this box will also work with other cars since it has the button for programming. I didn't try that because my Honda can learn from the remote. Hope this helps.

that's f-ed up cause i had to buy that same box for like $40 from them for my 2011 explorer!!!! they will be getting a call on monday......

Was free for me too! I called them about 1 week ago I had the box 4 days later.. Haven't had the time to install it though....

Thanks for the info. i finally figured out how to program it without resorting to ordering this item. I'm probably the only person that made this mistake, but i figured i would post my experience just in case. I have a fixed code system. as instructed, i opened the existing remote control to identify the positioning of the switches (up versus down). The up and down correspond to whether you push the right or left button during the programming process. My problem was i only saw 10 switches on the inside of my remote. I happened to take the light cover off the front of my unit on the ceiling of the garage and noticed there were 12 switches in there. The programming then went fine when i input the positions of the 12 switches. Again, I'm probably the only idiot that made this mistake, but just in case.....

That is great customer service. I've had similar service from Wayne Dalton garage door openers, FYI.

thanks for this thread!! After hearing you guys got it free i called lear car2u and within 30 seconds of explanation the girl put me on hold talked to her boss and said, no prob your CC will be refunded the amount you paid. I said wait, i didnt even give you my information. she said i have it already on screen from your phone number..... two days later, my CC had a $40 credit!! Now im not cheap, but when you buy a 45000 car, you expect it to work with a simple garage door and not have to buy more stuff to make it work.... I'm a happy camper now.

Proud and happy owner of a new 2013 Explorer Limited. Unfortunately, it has the Car2U remote and I have a Marantec garage door opener. Just called Lear Car2U and they would not provide the conversion kit for free. They would be happy to ship it out for $38. Not to be cheap, but after spending $45k on a vehicle, you just kind of expect that these things will work as equipped.

At any rate, wanted to see if anyone out there has had any luck lately with Lear Car2U and getting the conversion kit for free. Maybe I got a bad rep. Will also try my dealer to see if they want to cover the $38 in the interest of customer satisfaction.

Back